Anxiety Community
23k Members

anxiety and depression

i am trying to start a new thread so i hope this works. trying to get some advice. I am taking 20 mg prozac and have been on it for about 3 weeks. still feeling really anxious and stuff. how long do some of these meds take to work. i originally posted this question but i am new to the chat room scene.
Hi there;
I also suffer with anxiety and depression, so i can totally understand how you feel. I was not prescribed Prozac, I am on Cipramil, but it takes 2 weeks according to my doctor for the drug to start working and can make anxiety temporarily increase when you first start taking it. Try not to think about if it is working or not because that will also increase your anxiety as well.
Are you having any councelling for your anxiety and deppression because it helps to share your fears with an empathetic listener. I suffer badly with anxiety and it can be so scary when the feelings overwhelm me and it took me time to find a good therapist, but if you are willing to trust someone they can help you overcome this horrible illness.
Take care paddywack 223
Thanks for writing me back. You are correct. It is a horrible illness. Right now i cannot  even leave the house it's so bad. I was on lexapro but I stopped taking it because I thought it was all over with. What a mistake because that made it worse. I was on it for 4 months and stopped because the constipation and rectal bleeding from my hemoroid was making me miserable. But i just recently got a therapist so i'm going to see how she is. I didn't like the other 1 I had. But yah..it's hard to be patient when you are so anxious and feeling like you can just jump out of your skin. I never had an episode this bad.
prozac was not the drug for me i take zoloft now
I'm sorry you are having such a bad time. Believe me, I have been in the same place. When I am really anxious and depressed nothing will make me go out and it is very difficult to motivate myself in day to day living.  Just recently i thought I was making headway in my recovery by having EMDR. Are you familiar with it? It is a strange process where I recall a negative experience and the thought of it is so distressing that I cry and get very emotional and I rate the distress I feel (it's usually 10). The therapist then waves her first two fingers in front of my eyes, makes a clicking sounds around my ears and touches my shoulders. She repeats this over and over and in between each cycle I tell her how I am feeling and rate how distressed I feel.The distress does go down after about 10 minutes and eventually it fades away  I know it sounds nuts but I've had it three times now and my distress levels have gone down. It has something to do with the brain and the way it processes memories, that my therapist describes as being put in the wrong place'  and It allows my brain to put it away in my memory with no emotion attached. I didn't think I would ever improve butI have alot.

I also have hypnotherapy to help me relax and then i can sleep better.I feel it's exhausting being on ' high alert' all the time Today I had a moment when someone asked me how I am. I don't like that question and I try not to think about it. I don't
know who I am at the moment never mind how I am !!!
Take care
paddywack223
yah..the constant nervousness is just awful. i hope the prozac kicks in soon. i was on lexapro but stupid me stopped taking it because i thought i was ok. then things got worse. have you ever tried ECT? where they hook the electrodes up to you?
I've been on Cipramil for 2 years and I don't think i'll be coming off them anytime soon.
I haven't had ECT but i've read about. I think they put you under a general anaesthetic and attach the electrodes to the head. I saw a lady on telly who'd had it done 12 times in 6 weeks and she was still not right. I don't think it would work for me.
how long did it take for your medicine to kick in? they say prozac can take a while. like 6 weeks. i can't fathom going another 3 weeks like this. my doctor gave me ativan to take. i only take like 1/2 of a 1/2 which amounts to .25. and i don't take it every day. i don't want to get addicted to it. did you have to take a benzo at the beginning before your med kicked in? i have a call in to my doctor to see if there is anything else she can give me in the meantime. both my doctors say take it but i've read too many horror stories. plus my sisters are in the med. field and say i shouldn't take it if i don't have too.
It took a while for me because I don't think the dose was high enough and by the time the doctor took me serious it had kicked off into a major depressive episode. I was referred to the mental health team and the psychiatrist bumped up my meds. I have a care worker and she said that the antidepressant acts like a wonderbra !!  It gives you extra support when you need it. I was scared to take the meds as well bcause I thought there would be a problem with side effects and I might get hooked on them. I haven't had any problem with them at all and the doctor told me they aren't addictive. I think the illness causes much worse problems than the meds because some days I just didn'twant to cary on living which is far worse than taking them. What do you think?
yah..that's what i'm in right now. mde. and getting used to the meds makes it worse at first. when you are anxious and the meds cause anxiety in the beginning..it really makes ya nuts. did you ever have to take ativan or a benzo? i took prozac years ago for depression but not anxiety so the med is reacting differently now. yuk. but yah...carrying out every day tasks right now is hard. what was your original dose of cipramil at first? i hope 20mg of prozac is enough for me. where do you live? i am in cleveland,ohio. the mistake on the lake but i live about 1 block from the lake and i love it!
wish i could enjoy it right now..huh.
I was started on cipramil 20mg by the doctor.She told me I had moderate depression and sent me to a counsellor.It didn't work because I didn't like her. She made me feel like a naughty child and it was a total waste of time. Eventually I was referred me to the mental health team and I didn't even know I had anxiety until I saw it on my notes. I tried really hard to get back to normal, but the more i tried the worse it got until I had A total meltdown just after Christmas and my husband said enough was enough and got me a really great therapist. She does clinical hypnosis and EMDR and counselling, whatever I need that week. But the treatment is expensive and I am lucky to be finally getting the help I need. By the way I live in United Kingom your place sounds lovely.
wow. england! my husband will be excited to hear that. he is actually on the computer more than i am. i write in between. haha. he is off on tuesdays. if you don't mind me saying....when you said the word "telly'----i thought hmmm..she couldn't be from england. that would be crazy. -but i am here in the u.s. -a state cld ohio. of course you wouldn't be familiar with the 'mistake on the lake' phrase. haha. but yah..i'm in the middle of my meltdown right now. it's so so hard. feel like no end in sight. saw my doctor today. it was all i could do to crawl out of the car. i've been off work for about 3 weeks now. looks like i'll be out some more. just worried i'll lose my job. my husband told me not to worry about my job. hard not too ya know. no energy. my legs are like jello.  btw,,,it is 4:34pm. what time is it there? late evening?
hahaha, I can just imagine you scratching your head because i wrote the word 'telly'. No you'll have to let me in on 'the mistake on the lake' phrase. I know it's hard when the feelings are so intense and you don't think they will ever go away. I had to give up my job because I couldn't cope with the pressure but it was the only way I had a chance to recover. You've got to do what's best for your health, haven't you? Try not to worry about your job. Do they know about your illness? I never told my employer I had mental health problems and they never asked. I've got a little tip that works for me; try relaxation CDs. You should be able to buy them or ask your Doctor if s/he can recommend any. I listen to one my therapist made for me and it really helps me relax so I can go to sleep. I haven't slept properly for years so it's getting a bit easier. I've alot of catching up to do.
It's 10pm here btw.