Ask a Nurse Forum

Wrist injury

3 weeks ago I was lifting a metal ballet bar ( which I do all the time in ballet class) and I felt a strain in my right wrist. After about 20 minuets my wrist started to get swollen. Then a squishy lump formed there and now after three weeks there is now a hard bump that feels like a bone but it hurts to touch it and it does not hurt all the the time but it hurts when I do many simple tasks. The bump is located on the underside of my right wrist to the far to right, it is not the bone that everyone has on the side of your wrist where your thumb is but slightly to the left of that and I don't have it on the other hand. So I would like to know what that is.
Thanks for using the forum.

I am not sure what is causing the painful bump you have on your wrist. It is possible that you have strained it or done some damage to a ligament. I would recommend that you ice it and try to rest the wrist . Avoid any repetitive motion with that wrist if possible as it heals. If it continues to bother you, I recommend that you have it checked by a doctor to make sure that there is not an injury that needs treatment.

Cathy
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.