WLS AND SMOKING?

My doctor just sent a referral for me to have weight loss surgery. I know you need to be quit smoking before surgery and they will test me. I have since quit. How long do I have to be quit smoking for the test to show negative?
MY WIFE HAD SURGERY AS WELL TO LOSE WEIGHT. SHE WAS PLACED ON A MEDICATION THAT CAUSED HER TO JUMP FROM 275 LBS UP TO 600 LBS. SHE WAS TOLD INITIALLY THAT SHE HAD TO BE SMOKE-FREE BEFORE HER SURGERY WAS SCHEDULED. LUCKILY SHE DIDN'T SMOKE AS SHE GAVE IT UP A COUPLE OF YEARS EARLIER. SINCE HER SURGERY 5 YEARS AGO SHE HAS GONE DOWN DRASTICALLY. SHE NOW WEIGHS 165 LBS. THEY TELL YOU THAT AFTER THE SURGERY YOU'LL LOSE ABOUT HALF OF THE WEIGHT DURING THE FIRST COUPLE OF MONTHS. WE HAD INSURANCE THAT COVERED THE SURGERY. THE ONLY FEE WE HAD TO PAY WAS ON THE INITIAL MEETING WITH THE STAFF WHO WOULD BE INVOLVED WITH HER SURGERY. THE COST IS VERY EXPENSIVE AS IS AND THE RESULTS ARE DIFFERENT FROM PERSON TO PERSON ON HOW MUCH THEY MAY LOSE. THEY ALSO TELL YOU ABOUT THE "DUMPING SYNDROME" WHERE YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO EAT SWEETS AFTER THE SURGERY. MY WIFE FOUND THIS OUT TO BE TRUE. IN ONE MONTH LESS THAN 1/2 A YEAR AGO SHE TRIED DRINKING A MCDONALD'S SHAKE AND ON ANOTHER OCCASSION SHE TRIED EATING SOME COTTON-CANDY. THESE BOTH CAUSED HER TO BE VERY SICK TO HER STOMACH. SHE NOW SAYS SHE WON'T DO THAT AGAIN WITHOUT HER STOMACH PILLS WHICH SHE DIDN'T TAKE BEFORE TRYING TO EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING SWEET LAST TIME. THE PILLS MAKE IT ALOT EASIER TO DIGEST HER FOOD AND HELP OUT JUST IN CASE SHE TRIES SOMETHING TO EAT/DRINK THAT SHE ISN'T SUPPOSSED TO.
Recent research suggests that smokers stop smoking at least six to eight weeks prior to surgery.
Also it is not recommended to smoke after the surgery. There are a number of complications, risks, and potential infections that can develop as a result of smoking pre- or post-surgery.Post-surgery complications are greater for smokers.If you're a smoker, the best thing you can do for your body prepare for surgery is to quit altogether, or at least reduce dramatically the number of cigarettes you smoke each day.