Birth Control (Contraception) Community

The pill and cancer

I'm a 27 yr old East Indian and I'm wondering about going on the pill. I've read up a lot about birth control pills, and most of it seems to be good. What I am hesitating about though, is that I have a family history of cancer.

My mom has had Chondro Sarcoma and is a survivor, my maternal and paternal aunts both have had breast cancer and are survivors. I'm overweight, although I have a fairly active life.

I'm wondering if tampering with harmones because of using birth control is going to be a potential cancer risk. Any comments?
I've never heard of it or seen it on any of the warning labels containing all side effects from minor to major for my particular birth control pill.  You might ask your doctor if there's any chance, and they should be able to give you a better idea.