Aa
A
A
A
Close
Birth Control (Contraception) Community
6.45k Members

Unprotected sex day after ovulation, will the Morning After Pill work?

Hi guys,
Just looking for some advice. I have very regular periods (to the day!) and i track these and my fertile days, using a reliable app on my phone. I started my period on the 11th July and ovulated on the 24th. I know i ovulated as it's the same every month, i can feel it, cramps, mucus etc. I had sex with my boyfriend on the 25th, and the condom broke. Basically there was zero protection. This was around 11pm. I took the morning after pill the next day around 5pm. It was just one pill, from the chemist.

I've seen that apparently the MAP isnt effective if you are in your fertile days when the unprotected sex happened.
Today is the 29th and i am feeling extremely fatigued (for no reason), and have a strange twingey feeling on and off in my lower abdomen area..  

Any advise would be appreciated!

P.S, thought i'd add that a few years ago i accidentally got pregnant whilst living overseas, and had no symtopms of pregnancy, sickness etc. Only realised at around 4 weeks pregnant. I terminated the pregnancy, and felt awful about it.

Thank you. :)
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,
The morning after pill can act differently depending on what time of menstrual cycle you are in. It may stop the release of egg from ovary, prevent the fertilization of an egg and also prevent already fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus. It is most effective if taken within 24-48 hours after sex.It is almost 98-99% effective in preventing pregnancy. Morning after pill can cause your periods to come early or delayed. If your periods are delayed by more than a week it is suggested to take up pregnancy test. Do keep me posted.
Take care and regards!
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.