Birth Control (Contraception) Community

paragard

I had Paragard IUD put in less than a month ago. Ever since, I have been bleeding on and off along with a smelly black/brown discharge. And the most concerning symptom is the sharp, debilitating pain on my left side of the abdomen. I am self employed and uninsured, so that device cost me $800 out of pocket, so I am reluctant to just throw it away. Will my body ever adjust to it, or should I have it removed?
These look like the side effects of the IUD. IUD’s are notorious for causing pelvic inflammatory disease and intrauterine adhesions. Pelvic inflammatory disease is an infection of the uterus, fallopian tubes or ovaries. It occurs when bacteria move upward from a woman's vagina or cervix to her uterus or fallopian tubes. Intrauterine adhesions can cause abdominal cramps and discomfort in the lower abdomen. I sincerely advise you to consult a gynecologist and get cervical swabs and pelvic ultrasound done to find out whether PID is responsible for your symptoms.

I hope it helps. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.