Breast Cancer Forum

Green Discharge from Right breast

About 3 or 4 years ago i had surgery for a binign cyst in my right breast. After the surgery, if i squeezed my right breast a greenish puss discharge would come out following a little blood. I told the people at the doctors office and they told me it was probably just due to post surgery and to watch it. After a while the green puss and blood stopped coming and my breast seemed fine. Ever since then i have had no problems until at least a year and a half after my surgery the cyst came back. It didnt hurt and cause me extreme pain like the first time almost as if it wasnt even there.  I dont have medical insurance and not enough money to even make an appointment for a doctor i left it alone and have just ignored it. I started my monthly period 3 days ago, i woke up and changed shirts as i did i squeezed both breasts to see if the water weight built up from before my period had subsided. To my surprise some dark greenish discharge came out. I dabbed at it with a kleenex and didnt think anything of it really. A few moments later i went back to the breast to check if it would happen again. I only gave it a little squeeze and more of the same greenish discharge came out. I am a person who cant leave things like this alone so i continued squeezing at the breast to see if i could somehow drain the discharge out. Its been a hour since i touched at it at all and i went to check again and still more green puss. I keep examining my breasts to see if the right is larger then the left and it does seem a little swollen but i think that was caused by me squeezing it over and over again. I am not in pain but also know i can not go to the doctors. Is there any advice i can be given on what to do? Leave it alone and it will subside? see if after my period it stops?   Can anyone at all give me any kind of feed back on anything at all? i would really appreciate it! Thank you!
Dear katsmeow, Many women have some type of nipple discharge or fluid when their breasts are squeezed, and its normal. Squeezing the nipple sends message to the brain and the pituitary gland responds by increasing prolactin levels, which in turn produces discharge from the nipple.  The discharge can come in a variety of colors - gray, green and brown as well as white.  Some women are more prone to more discharge including women on; birth control pills, certain blood pressure medications or on major tranquilizers.  These medications increase prolactin levels in the body.   There is also certain life periods when a person is more likely to get discharge than others: there may be more discharge at puberty and at menopause than the years in-between.
The time to worry about nipple discharge is when it’s spontaneous (comes out by itself without squeezing), keeps on happening, and is only on one side.  If it is clear and sticky, like an egg white, or bloody.  If this is the case you would bring it to the attention of your doctor who could evaluate.  

A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.