Breast Cancer Forum

surgery on breast fibroadenoma?

I am 38 years old and have been dealing with lumps in my right breast for about 6 years.  I have had a successful ultrasound guided needle aspiration and have had a non successful needle aspiration and a biopsy.  I have 22 lumps in my right breast, I was told that we do not have to worry about 20 of them.  The one that I had the biopsy on was diagnosed as fibroadenoma and we need to keep an eye on it.  Just had my yearly mammogram and it grew from 9cm to 20cm, my question is and sorry i am going on but should I get them all removed?  I know that with all the lumps that I might have to have reconstructive surgery, could you help?
Geri
Dear Geri:  A fibroadenoma is a benign (non-cancerous) growth. Fibrooadenomas are distinct on a mammogram or ultrasound and when aspirated - no fluid comes out. As long as the doctor is sure it is a fibroadenoma, there is no need to remove the lump. In 50% of the cases fibroadenomas will go away on their own within 5 years. In others, the life of a fibroadenoma is about 15 years. In teenagers - the tendency is not to remove fibroadenomas. In middle age women, the tendency is to remove the fibroadenomas to be sure they are, in fact, fibroadenomas.  So depending on the individual situation, putting the findings in context, a suspected fibroadenoma might be biopsied to be sure of what it is. An ultrasound cannot always make a diagnosis of fibroadenoma with certainty.  It is not unusual for a person to have lumpy breasts and if these are not suspicious, removing them may not be in your best interest.  Technically, it may not be possible without mastectomy.  You should discuss this with your doctor and consider a second opinion with a breast specialist if you remain concerned.  Breast specialists are generally affiliated with large academic teaching hospitals.
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.