Bronchiolitis vs. Asthma...
by saearl, 1 hour ago
My now 7 month old baby girl has had coughing and respitory issues for the last few months. She got a cold when she was 3 months old (we have a 4 year old in preschool who has had a terrible year with colds), with a small cough and runny nose back in October. I had her chest listened to every 2 weeks and was told that she was all clear. She is very snuffly and stuffy and snorty sounding so I was doing steams, cool mist humidifier, and saline drops up the nose to try to relieve this. She started sleeping horribly. In early December, she had an Xray that showed inflammation in the lung tubes and she was diagnosed with Bronchiolitis We did puffers for two weeks (two puffs a day of Ventalin and 2 puffs a day of Flovent). After the course of puffers and several check ups, it was deemed without an Xray that her lungs were clear. Less than a week later, her cough returned, as did her runny nose. I had her chest listened to (by her Dr.) twice in one week and by the end of the week she was admitted to the hospital with only 84% oxygen. Her cough was terrible and she had a wheeze. After a weekend in the hospital, on nubulizer treatments, plus baby prednisone and back on the puffers,as well as an antiobiotic, she was released and we were to continue the puffers for a month. After that month was up, we did a follow up Xray and it showed no change in her inflamed lungs.I was shocked, as she was doing better, sleeping better, etc. My Dr. is now having us wean her off the puffers by gradually reducing the dose and we have been referred to a pediatrician, who we will see next week. My family Dr. is now saying that this may be asthma but wants a second opinion. We have reduced her puffers to one puff of each twice a day. Since then, she has gotten her runny nose and just a hint of a very infrequent cough back. We're just holding our course until we see the ped. next week.
Throughout all of this, she has been an amazing eater and is gaining weight. Her stats are between the 50th and 75th percentile for everything.
I am looking for answers as I am hesitant to accept the tentative asthma diagnosis. It doesn't seem to make sense to me. I am wondering if anyone out there, be it moms/dads/physicians or anyone has any thoughts based on her history that I have outlined. I am trying to arm myself with information and questions for the pediatrician next week. Also, can a case of Bronchiolitis be this persistent?
Thanks to anyone with any information that could help.