Dental Health Forum

Abscess, mild discomfort - Safe to wait a month?

Hello and thanks in advance to whoever can answer my question!

I just returned from a check-up. I was concerned about pain and sensitivity that has been developing under a crown I had put in about 3 years ago. I noticed the discomfort probably a year ago, but when I would get X-rays at my old dental office, I was reassured it was fine, I'm assuming because it was not bad enough for a root canal? But it always felt like it would get worse. Just recently (probably in the last couple months), the crown has become more sensitive to cold and biting down/chewing. I had digital x-rays and a consultation and it turns out there is a small abscess/some infection and a root canal (through the crown) is recommended.

My question is...How "safe" is it to wait until after the new year (probably mid-January, when my dental insurance coverage starts) to get this done?

I was prescribed a dose of amoxicillin to last me 21 days should the situation get worse. I will be out of town from Dec 9-26 but I may be able to get treatment where I will be, if (worst case scenario) I need an emergency root canal during that time. Right now there is not a lot of pain unless I bite down or expose the crown to cold.

Is waiting a good option? Should I go ahead and take the amoxicillin now? I was advised to take it starting right now but I just don't want to go on antibiotics unless I need to..But I will if it will help keep the infection down until I can get treatment.

Thank you!
My personal opinion is to get the root canal done as soon as possible if feasible.  The reason why is that its already showing signs of pain/infection and it will most likely worsen over time.  How bad or how fast may be hard to predict but there's a possibility it could worsen quite rapidly.  

If you want to wait until January, then I would recommend taking the antibiotics now.  You should take antibiotics as you 1) have an infection and 2) have symptoms.  

I wouldn't recommend you taking it if there "might" be an infection and you had no symptoms.
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.