Allergy to composite resin

Has anyone ever experienced a systemic allergy to composite fillings?  Since I had all my mercury fillings removed (by a qualified specialist) and only when I started refilling the teeth with composite resins did I begin to experience itching (a feeling coming from the inside, out).  I had temporary fillings before the permanent ones and those were fine.  When I first had the composite fillings applied, I experienced some sensitivity in certain teeth which my dentist redid and used a protective layer before refilling the teeth.  For about 3 months now I've had to take an antihistamine tablet every other day because the itching keeps returning.  I have ruled out food, chemical and environmental allergies and have been told by a gynecologist that this type of allergy is not due to hormones.  I've asked my dentist if there is any test I can do but he doesn't know of any and I am considering consulting an allergist but I would like to know if anyone out there has ever experienced this and what you've done.

The allergy could be from another source but it seems too coincidental that the itching first appeared after placing the composite resin fillings.

HELP!!
Clifford Materials Reactivity Testing (CMRT) is a laboratory screening process used to help identify existing sensitivity problems to various chemical groups and families of compounds in an individual patient. This process is currently being implemented in the CMRT Dental Test. After a patient’s test has been completed, the patient’s reactivity test results are compiled in a report. We are currently reporting on over 11,000 trade-named dental products and 94 chemical groups and families. We have also added a Orthopedic panel reporting on over 3900 trade-named products for surgical applications.
In modern society we come in contact with many substances every day in the food we eat, the products we use and the treatments we receive.
Because each of us possesses a unique biochemistry, these substances effect each of us differently and in varying degrees. For some, the effects of certain substances (and their corrosion byproducts) can be toxic and hazardous, and may result in serious health problems. A substance which causes little or no reaction in one individual can prove harmful to another.
Since these effects may vary in each of us, it is vital that these factors be considered when choosing dental and other materials for use in the body, especially in patients with special or unique health concerns.
Clifford Materials Reactivity Testing (CMRT) provides dentists and physicians with extensive information about their patient’s individual sensitivities so that least offensive materials can be chosen and used in their treatments.
I've read several posts, have some of the same problems and see we have a common factor...the composite   resin
Yes indeed. How are you today?
I just found this forum...  Here is my recent painful experience. I had some bonding work done to close the gaps between four teeth.  Later the day after the bonding work, I experienced many of the symptoms described here by others.  Over the next week, my symptoms worsened - sore/burning/swollen tongue and inner cheeks, taste changes, etc.  I went from doctor to doctor (gen med to ENT), trying to find out what was happening.  It become an obsession since I have never experienced those symptoms before and I am 45 yoa.  Finally, I went back into the dentist and demanded to see all product sheets for the glues/resins/composite materials etc. to try and learn more.  That's when it all came together.  These materials are full of acrylates and other chemicals that are known in the med literature as allergens and irritants to a percentage of the population.  In fact, if one wikipedias the symptoms and looks at possible causes, these chemicals are often mentioned, esp acrylates.  It was then that I said to my dentist - I need the bonding materials removed from my mouth.  The dentist removed all of the material and in the meantime, gave me a mouth rinse with a steroid/lidocaine/maloox, which numbs but hekps immensely.  No, none of us are going crazy...  There are reasons and they often in this regard are the chemicals being used to produce these dental products.  Much more information needs to be given to patience.  I'm trying to recover now, but still have swelling/irritation.
Good luck to all!
James
I recently had a large composite resin filling.  3-days later I broke out in full body hives which have lasted over a month and I've developed food allergies for the first time in my life* to foods I've always eaten: tuna, sausage, tortillas, burritos, etc.

Every day now I have to watch what I eat, and am always wondering if I'll have to run for benedryl or to the hospital with my next meal.  I now want these 2 resin filled teeth out of my mouth now!

Thanks for posting this.
_________________
Yes, I feel you! I had several small composite resin fillings put in 11-12 or so years ago and have developed chronic debilitating almost daily migraines and anxiety disorder. NEVER had a migraine before nor struggled with abnormal amounts of anxiety. Grew up performing and used to being in large crowds of people, etc. Now, I've tried everything and found NOTHING that has cured or fixed these problems. About a month ago, I realized many composites use BPA derivatives and other chemicals many toxic that can cause harmful health effects on individuals. I'm convinced that is what is causing my migraines and anxiety disorder and I KNOW through research BPA causes those symptoms and many more. So, even if my fillings contain something other than that, who's to say those materials aren't the culprit. Also, I've developed food sensitivity to things I grew up eating with no problems as well. So, NEVER give up on your pursuit of finding the answers. Please keep us updated on your journey. I pray you find a dentist or doctor who can help you and will actually LISTEN to and be OPEN TO what you say. Sad that it's hard to find that in the professional world.
A few years back I had the white plastic fillings put into a tooth within 5 days
I broke out in hives all over my body, plus my face was all distorted ended up in the Hospital.Took me over a year and a half to figure out the cause it was the filling, Had it removed and within 5 or so days the hives started to go away. My body became my own again. Hive free for three years. Then I went to a Dentist again he asked me if I would like to try the white plastic filling Being stupid I said yes lets give it a try. Well within 5 days hives appeared all over my body This time right away went back and had the filling removed. again within five days they started to subside.
This was two weeks ago. They are still lingering but much much mucch less than my first time. DEFFINETLY  THE WHITE PLASTIC MIXTURE can cause Hives on some people.
Which dentist may I ask did you go to?

The dentist who put in my composite fillings years ago is no longer around and the holistic biological dentist I went to in hopes of being open to and accepting what I had to say pretty much shot me down and tried to come up with other reasons for what could be causing my migraines and anxiety disorder. I've already tried every other option to fix it including working with functional medicine doctors but firmly believe the culprit are my fillings. The migraines and anxiety started after they were in. Before that I NEVER struggled with either of these conditions.
Hies happened to me on two different occasions the first time my face became distorted hives all over my body around four days after the white plastic filling put in I was stupid enough to not figure it out until many many
months later than four years later My new dentist said do you want to try this
filling again. Mistake i said yes within five days Broke out in HIVES all over my body had the filling removed almost right away within 6 days the hives subsided it took around 14 days to almost be hive free. That was a week ago.
THIS STUFF SHOULD  BE OUTLAWED in the DENTIST OFFICE. and the Dentist that gives it should experience Hives from it for two weeks this way they understand the harm it can do. RUSSELL GIBSON NEW JERSEY  

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Community