Dental Health Forum

Draining abscess

I recently lost my health and dental insurance and am currently unemployed with no benefits coming in.  Anyhow, my lower left #18 12 yr. molar had been previously root canaled and crowned.  It has been swelling on the buccal side and now has a draining fistula.  I am letting it drain and using Glyoxide.  There is no pain involved.  The last time I had a lower right molar re-root canaled for $1,492,00 (the first on it having been 2 yrs prior) and re-crowned the tooth only lasted 8 months then it was abscessed again which resulted in an extraction.  I guess my question is as long as it is draining and I am keeping it clean how dangerous is this to my overall health.  I do not want to have it extracted until absolutely necessary.  Plus the cost the periodontist charged me $1100 to extract that tooth that was twice rootcanaled/crowned and build up the bone so with the cost of dental care is SW FL I am in a quandary.  Thank you.
Its hard for me the answer without being able to do a full diagnosis but I would say any abscess should be taken care of sooner than later.  Even if its draining, there is a constant infection present.  If the fistula closes, it can spread rapidly to other parts of the mouth, face, neck region, etc.  

So is your dentist recommending to extract the tooth and place a bone graft in?  I'm not what the success rate of a bone graft is when there's an infection in the socket.
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.