Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

veneers

Are Lumineers better than the conventional veneers? Are their any benefits of one over the other?
1 Responses
540545 tn?1377622918
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
That depends on what you're trying to achieve.  Unfortunately beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that's where you'll find some difference in regards to veneers vs lumineers.  

I don't place lumineers so I can't speak from experience but this is what I've heard from other doctors.

Lumineers has more minimal tooth reduction, sometimes resulting in slightly more bulky-appearing teeth and if there is heavy staining on the teeth, sometimes it may show through.  The benefits of lumineers is that it does accomplish the job of creating a better smile.  It just depends on how picky you are.  Also, there is less tooth reduction which is nice.  There may not be a need for anesthesia even.

Conventional veneers require more tooth structure removal.  The benefits include creating a slightly less bulky appearance of the teeth and usually better coverage of staining if it is heavy.  Drawback... more tooth structure removed and need for anesthesia.

Both have its pros and cons.  There may be others as well in regards to specifically your case.  Consult your dentist and discuss your options.  

Also, when I say bulky.  I'm talking about 0.25mm or so.  For most, its probably not noticeable but as a dentist, we work in millimeters.  So again, its all in the eye of the beholder.  

Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.