Dermatology Forum

Bleach on skin--Permanent Effects?

I used Clorox bleach as a method to get rid of ringworm. I initially did not dilute the Clorox and applied it to several areas on my chest. I never developed a burn of any kind, however I have noticed my skin is somewhat whiter in the areas I applied bleach to. Is this a permanent effect?
Thanks for posting your query.

Chlorox is composed of sodium hypochlorite, which is a strong oxidizer. Products of the oxidation reactions are corrosive and may burn skin. If the bleach is left on your skin for an inordinately long period of time, it can cause pigment lightening and permanent tissue damage.

What the bleach has done is pigment lightening or post inflammatory hypopigmentation. The pigmentation may return but it may take months or years depending on the intensity of contact and the part of the body.

Secondly since the white spots are on the chest it is important to rule out pityriasis versicolor as well. It is a fungal disease caused by a type of yeast that naturally lives on your skin. When the yeast grows out of control, the skin disease, which appears as a rash, is the result.

The spots may disappear during cool weather and get worse during warm and humid weather and appears as light or dark patches on face or chest which do not tan with exposure to sun.

Topical antifungal treatment has been found to be quite helpful and anti-fungal topical products containing ingredients such as zinc, pyrithione, selenium sulfide, miconazole, clotrimazole, and terbinafine are available which you can use. Try treating that with clotrimazole twice a day for 2 weeks under your doctor’s supervision.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions