Dermatology Forum

Rash on one eyelid

Hello, I have had a rash on my left eyelid for about three or four months now.  The rash is dry, flaky, sometimes itchy and a dark red/purple color.  Sometimes when I wake up in the morning it is swollen and my eye won't open fully until after I take a hot shower.  Any ideas?  I thought it might be a reaction to a product I use on my eye area, but it's only on one eyelid!  It is especially bothersome at night.  Thank you for your reply.
Dana:

You are quite right that having something on one eyelid is not a reaction.  More likely it is eczema, a local sensitivity usually no triggered by anything in particular.  I recommend that you try 1% hydrocortisone twice a day on the lid.  If it's eczema, it should get much better in 2-3 days.  If not, let a doctor have a look.  Don't use hydrocortisone constantly in that area, but a couple of days is safe, and should tell the tale.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions