Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

itchy skin

Ive had on and off mild itchy skin for a while now. At first my doctor thought it might be lymphoma itch. However, my CT scan test results said "no significant hilar,axillary and mediastinal lymphadenopathy". So my doctors ruled lymphoma out. My GI doc says I might have IBS or a mild IBD but my diarrhea symptoms are controlled with immodium. The itch itself is mild, its mostly on legs and back. If theres an itch on my back so I scratch it then it will return somewhere else on my body. The first two episodes were cured with gatorade/powerade, however, not this time. What could it be? is lymphoma itch intense? why did it go away with gatorade the first 2 times?
1 Responses
1318109 tn?1292888573
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Welcome to the Dermatology Expert Forum!
You asked some great questions and we thank you for that.

There are many possible dermatologic and systemic causes of pruritus (itch), and only detailed medical history followed by indicated diagnostic procedures could provide the final answer.

Among dermatologic causes, where pruritus most often accompanies and/or sometimes announces skin lesions, are: Xerosis cutis (dry skin), Allergic contact dermatitis, Atopic dermatitis, bullous dermatoses (Dermatitis herpetiformis, Pemphigoid bullosus), Lichen planus, Psoriasis, vulgaris, Folliculitis, Scabies, Solar burn, Cutaneous T-cell Lympfoma, etc.

Among systemic causes of pruritus are:  systemic medications (including loperamide you have been taking), Cholestasis, Chronic renal failure, Hyperthyroidism, Diabetes, Peripheral neuropathy, parasitic infections, HIV infection, malignancies, etc.

Beverages you mentioned obviously did not “cure” the pruritus because it appeared again. We are not saying that there is no possibility for their use to be connected with improvement of your symptoms as it does contains electrolytes and some vitamins.
However, to make any conclusions we would have to know your complete medical history including lifestyle (nutrition, physical activity, etc.).

From very few information you provided use of loperamide is possible prime suspect but disseminated/generalized pruritus must be thoroughly investigated by your physician.

Wishing You Optimal Health,
Dr Jasmina Jankicevic
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions