suddenly oily hair that won't correct

This discussion is related to suddenly oily hair that won't correct.

Question to the Dr.  

Could this be overactive sebaceous glands?  I have had sebaceous cysts in the past.  Could excessive sweating cause this to happen.  Sweating dries out the skin, therefore causing the glands to produce more oil to compensate for the loss?  When your stressed, you sweat.  During menopause, you sweat.  In the summer, you sweat.  If your febrile, you sweat.

I am a 38 year old female and also started experiencing a heavy oily area around the crown of my head about 3 1/2 weeks ago.  I asked my Dr. and  he acted as if I was crazy.  He suggested I use Neutrogena shampoo once a week, which I started yesterday.  To add to the other comments....I am extremely stressed (thought that was it).  I am going through peri-menopause.  I have not changed shampoos in 15 years (I alternate head and shoulders and Pantene).  I have never had any problems with oily skin or oily hair ever.  I wash my hair daily and condition.  I have not changed my daily regimen in 2 years

One thing I have tried was applied Shower to Shower powder to my hair before going to bed and washed out in the morning (not the sexiest looking thing at night but it helps).  It drastically reduced the oil, but came back 2 days later.  The only thing I worry about is clogging the glands that are producing the oil, so I don't do it daily...maybe once a week.  I will try the Irish Spring soap, that will not clog the glands...just dry out the hair.  Another suggestion I haven't tried was go to a good hair dresser who has shampoos that change the PH balance of your hair (If this goes on another month I will try this.  It's kinda drastic.)

Excess oil may lead to other problems like fungal infections and  seborrheic dermatitis . There are good products in the market  that may be able to help. Hypoallergenic and organic shampoos, that are mild may be used daily. I suggest that you refrain from trying out products without consulting a dermatologist. This may cause other problems like extreme dryness and allergic reactions.

A good diet , daily exercise, adequate sleep and taking adeqaute amount of water everyday will be able to help. Hormonal imbalance may indeed alter the body's normal physiologic responses. You may ask your gynecologist regarding this.
I have all the sudden gotten an oily/waxy scalp at the crown of my head. It is oily even right after I wash it.  This has been going on for about 2 weeks and I know it is not because I am washing my hair wrong or not rinsing enough.  Does anyone else have this problem and how long does it last?

An oily waxy scalp may need further evaluation as this may be a case of seborrheic dermatitis.

Is there any scaling on the scalp?

Any scaling behind the ears,the chest or on the face?

I suggest that you seek consult with a dermatologist. Oily scalp needs repeated shampooing.If you have any known allergies, always ask your physician before using any OTC products as this may aggravate the condition.A fungal infection may also be considered as a differential but may easily be differentiated from seborrheic dermatitis.

Seborrheic dermatitis may be recurrent.
Has anyone discovered an answer yet?  I have all the same symptoms as everyone else and haven't discovered anything to make the oil go away!  
Last Wednesday, after a particularly stressful few days and a 48 hour stomach virus I awoke with extremely oily hair.  I, too, wash and condition my normally dry hair everyday.  I, too, went to my Dr. who put me on Zoloft.  It's been a week tomorrow and it is no better.  In fact, it is worse - it started in the top and then went to the left side, etc.  No one I have talked to has ever heard of this.  I have a call in to my GYN but after reading the postings above, I believe I will contact a dermatologist.

Unbelievable!
I have the same symptoms. Suddenly waxy feeling hair at the crown of my head and within days now it is going more toward the top andright of my head. I to shower daily and have taken extra time to make sure I am rinsing thoroughly and I have used head and shoulders to see if it helped but it seemed worse that day.
Did anyone find an answer?
Its crazy!