Diet and Fitness Community
Monkey

gaining weight when dieting

External User
I've gained weight while eating healthy and exercising regularly. I have not reached a fitness plateauand sometimes I do eat or not healthy snacks but it doesn't come out to much. Does anyone else have this problem?
COMMUNITY LEADER
If you are exercising regularly, you will be losing fat and gaining muscle.  Muscle is packed more densely than fat, so a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, therefore, you may not be losing pounds, but could be losing inches.  Have you done any measurements to check inches lost?

You should keep a food diary and record everything you eat.  Often we eat a lot more than we think we do. I hadn't been keeping a food diary, but I do now and it can be a real eye-opener.  It shows us where we're getting off track.  For instance, I didn't realize how much salt I was getting and how little protein and fiber.

Those "not healthy" snacks can really creep up on you.