Gaining weight

I have seen the other posts about weight gain and am too VERY frustrated as I exercise, drink water and eat only 2 healthy meals a day. I recently asked to change my Levothyroxine to Armor. I had a lot of energy but actually put on more weight. Is that possible? I got scared and went back to Levothyroxine. I do not like how I look and obsess over it. I had my gallbladder removed in January also due to it not working. I am at a loss and really need a solution. Have enough thought about getting off of synthroid or reducing it from  100 mcg to 50 mcg on my own.
Are any of those meds steroids? That could be the answer to weight gain. The other thing you might try is fewer calories, lowering food intake to 1500-1700 calories per day.