Aa
A
A
A
Close
Exercise & Fitness Community
6.19k Members

Not losing weight

I have been diligently using my elliptical trainer for 2 months at least 4 times a week, usually 4. I have been making healthy food choices and have had very few high calorie/fat treats. The problem is I have not lost any weight. I have stayed in the 203- 206 weight range. Seems like if I do lose a pound, it is gained right back. I do weigh myself at the same time. I am 5'9 and consider myself to be moderately active. I probably do not drink enough water daily, maybe 2 sport bottles daily. I have recently quit smoking in January (5 months and counting!!!) and have stopped taking Paxil about 3 weeks ago. I also have just began taking Hydroxycut for women. I do not understand why I am not losing weight. Last summer, I ran 2 miles 4-5 days a week and lost 15 pounds. What am I doing wrong? I am sweating profusely when on the elliptical and believe me, I am giving my heart a strong 30 minute workout. Could there be a medical reason why I am not losing any weight or seeing any noticable difference with all of the effort I am putting forth?
1 Responses
Hi,
One condition known to affect weight is thyroid disease. A thyroid deficiency can cause a decrease in metabolism and may lead to weight gain.There are any number of drugs that may have weight gain as a side effect for some people. Some common ones include hormonal medications for birth control or menopause, oral steroids, some anti-depressants, diabetes medications and anti-psychotic medications.
If you have these ruled out these then it could be because you are not exercising enough, stressed, not sleeping enough or over-eating.
The only way to lose weight is to eat lesser calories than what you are using everyday.
For weight loss, you'll need to get about 5 cardio workouts each week at a medium-high intensity for at least 30 minutes.In addition to your cardio workouts, you'll need to lift weights for all your muscle groups at least 2 non-consecutive days a week.
ref:http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/ss/notlosingweight_8.htm
Top Healthy Living Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.