Eye Care Community

Clear,Long,Stringy Goo in Eye Constantly

Hi, I am 31 and as long as I can remember I have had problems with my eyes. Througout the day I have to wash out eyes, out my fingers in eye to remove the stuff- I know this can't be good but it happens so often I have to. It is clear, and runs in the bottom of eye, on eye, top of inside eye, long stringy goo. I can lightly wet a cutip- put in inside corner of eye and spin. The stuff goes from top to bottom. It is such an irritant. What could this be- I went to dr before and they said it was allergies. All the time I dont think so. I have really long eyelashes could that have something to do with it. I cant even wear makeup because it makes much more stuff in eye. Please any advice will help.
I have a theory... It is Normal...you get a grain of dust in your eye, and your eye goes into defensive mode, they make little cocoon like casings around the irritant so you eyes don't get scratched. I work in a machine shop so their is always something floating around in the air, however, the shop that I work in now is much smaller than the one I worked in 5 years ago, and I've noticed that since I've started working in this new, smaller place that this symptom has increased a lot. I have to pull the goo out of my eyes 3, 4, 5, times a day. My theory is based on the fact that I also produce a lot more mucus in my nose and throat, presumably for the same reasons. However I know that their is something different because I don't see other people going to a mirror every few hours because they have to dig in their eyes.
I am 15 years old i have been having it since i was least 9 its a pain in the back! my mom had it to but she actually enjoys it! she eats it & etc  just today i have the worst case of string attack! i usually get some strings in my eye here or there in the day but this  by far what i dread! i pull so many strings out to the point were at the top of my lid there is a skin texture like string of mucus it takes forever to get off! its very very  textured it almost feels like a booger !! i have to open my eye lid lay it down & attack! for 3-5 minutes and when i get the string collected in a little ball i take my fingers and pull it out it has a film type texture its so icky when it gets serious to the point were its visible i take 2 allergy pills  & pray for the best, i have the worst attacks! from were there is glop on every single CORNER or lid my 'weapon' of choice is my pinky finger all i do is to a quick swipe to the top & bottom of my eyelid and when i get my pinky finger out its a glob of yellow mucus i am so sick & tired of it to the point were im willing to do anything ! ANYTHING  it feels like its consuming my life ... right now i have a cup with warm water and a tissue on my night stand becuase my eye is red itchy & sore :( did i mention i spend way too much time in the bathroom my parents are getting suspicious im doing some top notch drugs .
I am 51. I noticed these symptoms for about 10,yrs. It has progressively gotteb worse. Seems like (unbeknownst to me) my eyes became dry. I lived in a home where smoking was going on. I believe I. Became allergic to cigarettes, even a smoker myself. I will pull out on any given day 10-15 strands,of this crap out if my eye. I think it's even causing,a decline in my vision. Ive had 2 prescription changes to eyes in one yr. I believe this is a REAL disease. I don't believe this crap about it being psychological. If anyone has a strand of ceap in front of their eye they are going to try and clear it away so they can see. I don't so called "FISH" (which is a bullcrap name) until it impairs my vision. I have recently taken these steps with some success. I wash my face with very warm wash cloth especially around the eye lashes and eyes with a mild anti bacterial soap. Careful... kepp eyes tightly closed.  I TRY to keep fingers out of my eyes. I take a antihistamine and I use and allergy eye drop solution along with lubricating eye drops. DO NOT USE AT THE SAME TIME. Use these products at least a few hrs apart. Only use allergy eye but every 12 hrs. Cuz it will mess with your vision big time! This has seemed to reduce the amount of crap in my eyes. Also if you smoke or are,around cigarette smoke make sure you have good ventilation. I personally would not waste money on psychotherapy because if the crud ain't in my eye I don't "FISH". It really is gross and sometimes debilitating. I just started this regiment has already decreased the amount of goo. Good luck
WOWWWW!!!!!...And I thought I inherited it from my father...I had no idea so many of us go thru this...I am 45 and this has been an issue since my single digit years...Someone previously said, the eye MD said it was allergies...NO ITS NOT...This is a daily thing for me and sometimes I am in the mirror for hour getting it out...Sometime until my eyes are swollen and red...Sometimes the texture becomes so thick, it scratches my eyeball...Anyway, I didn't read all of the comments yet, but I hope and pray their is a solution for this...It is very annoying
Don't pass reading this up!!!!!!'
  My name is Robert and I have had a problem with both of my eyes for a little over 2 years. I've tried every product known to man and have gone to numerous doctors who all thought that I was crazy. I knew there was something wrong because I am almost 48 year old and for 46 year of my life my eyes have been pretty much perfect. So, I go to a new doctor and insist that there is something wrong with my eyes and oh my God, he actually listens to me and suggests that we do an eye culture. I'm thinking Wow, why didn't any doctor before to this! So, anyway, the results come back and Holy crap, it turns out that I have picked up some weird bacteria called Enterobacter Aerogenes. Apparently this bacteria comes from an animals intestinal tract. I was in Alaska for 3 1/2 months write before I started having problems with my eyes. I was doing lots of metal detecting out in the woods and the doctor believes that I contracted it while digging in the soil, because this bacteria can also live in the soil. He said that this bacteria is very difficult to get rid of and can sometimes take multiple types of medication to eradicate it. He prescribed my these eye drops to start off with that has tobramycin and dexamethasone. I have a 2nd prescription after this one and hopefully it will fix my problem. I'm only on the 5th day and I can already tell that my eyes are almost back to normal. This has been a difficult little journey and this experience has taken up so much of my life over the past couple of years. I spent so much time, trying different remedies and in front of the mirror getting these long strings things out of my eyes. This my not be everyone's problem, but I think that it would at least be worth it to have your doctor take an eye culture to see if there is anything out of the ordinary. Good luck to all who read my post.
Medication can cause this. I have this problem and I asked my doctor about it and he said that with the medication I am taking for CHF (congestive heart failure) that my pills can cause this problem. It's dry eyes. He can't prescribe me anything because of the medication. But I recommend visine eye drops for dry eyes.  It burns at first and your vision gets blurry don't worry it won't last. Use them 3 times a day morning noon and night and make sure you have q-tips ready and get an mirror with a strong view and if you noticed the white goop touch the goop and slowly move out wards that way it comes out and it will storming and don't rub your eyes cause it makes the burning feeling twice as bad. Also try putting a rash rag with go water on your eyes it helps a lot.
i have this problem 8 years until now ..
i have keratoconus, so i have to wear hard contact lenses.. which make the condition worse !
every time i tell my doc he give me antihistamine drops.. simply they dont do anything..
i was smoking .. and now 3 months after quitting mucus still there ...
i do "fish".. if i dont the mucus will cover the lenses and .....
sometimes i give up and keep rubbing my eyes.. and then they Inflamed..
and no, i dont pray to god anymore.. just hope someone find a cure
I just read this article, it seems to be mostly a bad habit we picked up after dealing with a medical condition but the bad habit of touching our eyes has prolonged the annoyance.

http://www.drmalcolmmckellar.co.nz/eye-conditions/mucus-fishing-syndrome/
The above comment is right on.

JCH MD
I've had this problem for many years.  I want to thank all who have commented.  I'm going to try the suggestions.   My eye doctors will not do anything, they say it's just age (I'm 52), but I've had this since I was about 13 years old.   It seems to come and go, but has gotten much worse in the last few years.  I can't even wear mascara anymore.

Try saline drops it might help
Can it be a infection
An infection causes a yellow, pus like discharge and is clear with or without antibiotic drops in 1-3 weeks. rarely chronic problem and mucous which is clear is different than pus
=
Hi my wife has these long stringy things in her eyes,  and well today I convinced her to tie it around a piece of trash and throw it out the window well she did and now that we are home she still feels pulling and no matter what we can't cut, burn,  apply any stuff to dissolve it is not working and is still pulling help asap what should we do
Put the bottle down and stop drinking.
Keep out of the sun, bright light, and dusty places. Anything that irritates your eyes. I only get symptoms when i get involved with any of the three.
For relief when it happens-ignore it. As crazy as it may sound to ignore something moving in your eye, it is the quickest way for it to disappear again. DO NOT POKE OR RUB OR TOUCH YOUR EYES WITH ANYTHING!
Digging at the eye with the finger sets up a self perpetuating circle of "irritation-run eye-eye produces mucous-more touching "fishing" of the mucous' which just makes more mucous.  

When you've dug yourself into a hole the first thing you do is put down the shovel (fingers).

JCH MD
I HAD A BAD EYE INFECTION A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO. I THINK IT WAS CALLED KERA CONJUNCTIVITIS. ITS WHERE YOU GET KIND OF SCRATCHES ON THE FRONT OF YOUR EYE AND IT WAS EXTREMELY PAINFUL.
I HAVE HAD MUCAS FISHING SYNDROME EVER SINCE. ITS SOOOOO ANNOYING COZ YOU WANT TO STOP PUTTING YOUR FINGERS IN YOUR EYES BUT YOU JUST CANT STOP COZ ITS SO SATISFYING TO GET THE STRINGY BITS OUT.
I THINK ITS A GONNA CASE OF JUST BEING VERY STRONG AND STOP DOING IT. A BIT LIKE GIVING UP SMOKING!!
=
It's makeup. Mine do this when I wear makeup band it's bad. It'll do it for days afterwards. I go most of the time without it and my eyes are fine until they get tired and dry like they usually do. But the gunky puss stuff in my eye happens when I wear make up. Maybe we are allergic somehow to it ?
=
These long strings of mucous in the eye can also be caused by excessive dryness of the eye from Sjogren's Syndrome.  I have had Sjogren's for over 20 years now and this is a constant problem, not only the mucous but the constant feeling of sand or grittiness in the eyes. This can be very painful, irritating, I know it sounds weird for dry eyes, but it may cause your eyes to water excessively as well. If you have any type of autoimmune disease or are a diabetic, this may be something that you want to get tested for. This condition can be treated well with medication and natural tears eye drops.
eokes99    Hopefully you have discussed restasis with your ophthalmologist. It has made a world of difference for my patients with SS. And as I have posted her many times both my wife and I are on restasis for moderate to severe dry eyes with excellent results.

JCH MD