Clear,Long,Stringy Goo in Eye Constantly

Hi, I am 31 and as long as I can remember I have had problems with my eyes. Througout the day I have to wash out eyes, out my fingers in eye to remove the stuff- I know this can't be good but it happens so often I have to. It is clear, and runs in the bottom of eye, on eye, top of inside eye, long stringy goo. I can lightly wet a cutip- put in inside corner of eye and spin. The stuff goes from top to bottom. It is such an irritant. What could this be- I went to dr before and they said it was allergies. All the time I dont think so. I have really long eyelashes could that have something to do with it. I cant even wear makeup because it makes much more stuff in eye. Please any advice will help.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Wow I have had the same thing for years we cannot all be crazy this has to be an unknown condition!! I have seen four doctors and an eye specialist and still no difference. Eye drops/gel/ointment, antibiotics and allergy medication!! None worked ;((((
Helpful - 0

It's VERY well known, but somewhat difficult to treat.  Google 'mucus fishing syndrome.'  You'll get a lot of hits like this one:

http://www.revoptom.com/content/d/comanagement_q___and___a/i/1350/c/25906/

Reading about it enough to understand and accept what is going on will help.
Helpful - 0
ASE SOMEONE GIVE US A FEASIBLE ANSWER
Helpful - 0
FIRST I want to start by saying...HAS ANYONE NOTICED THAT A LOT OF PPL SUFFERING FRM THIS ARE WITHIN THE SAME AGE RANGE??!! I am 32 and have been suffering from this eye mucus since I was 17. I am CONSTANTLY feeling this in one or both eyes and it feels like sand is in my eye, i cant go 5 minutes without rushing to the mirror and scourge the mucus out of my eye or eyes! EYE FISHING SYNDROME!? PAH! That was someones way out of doing some research in the matter so they just call us all crazy and label us as having EYE FISHING SYNDROME! DUDE! THERE IS MUCUS IN OUR EYES AND NOTHING WORKS! HELP, RESEARCH PLEASE DRS, NOT LABEL AND RIDICULE US! I bet if an eye dr was experiencing this themselves, they would put forth the effort to really find out about this "disease".  NO ONE IS IMAGINING THIS IT IS REAL SYMPTOMS AND REAL PEOPLE!
Helpful - 0
im 16 years old now and im having the same watery eye problem, i'v noticed that my eye shape changed too as it was bigger before the age of 16..... this has become soo irritating especially when it comes to yawning as more water is produced and that phrase of "eye fishing syndrome" i hate this feeling it's the most annoying-est thing that has ever happened to me!! plz someone do something about this .....
Helpful - 0
I'm 24 and mine started around 4-5 years ago. I had been really sick with a cold or whatever and I was on the phone with a client at work and she was talking about how she had been really sick. She said "you know I always put off going to the doctor but I reached my limit the other day, even my eyes are getting gross.. I have slime in them." I thought OH, maybe that's all mine is, went to the doctor, crap crap crap.

I got contacts a couple years later and it started getting worse.. told the doctor, changed solutions a hundred times like he said, crap crap crap crap..

I've googled before but never get an answer.. just people saying the same thing. I'm googling again today because my eye was so damn irritated, I kept opening my eye really wide and lifting up my top lid because it almost feels like something's trapped under my upper lid.. I honestly thought I'd find AT LEAST an eyelash. Didn't see anything, but kept getting the goo in the corner of my eye, which usually it doesn't build up that fast unless I put in eye drops or something. Usually it's small strings in the bottom lid.. (my eyes also have bags, are raw and sore, etc.).. So finally my eye started watering super bad and i just kept blinking really hard.. after one of the blinks, I opened my eyes and look in the mirror because I could feel something HUGE.. It was a BIG thing of goo.. nothing like I usually find. It was like really thick and almost green?!? So eye fisher people, was I just supposed to let that big green slime ball sit in my eye? I couldn't even see! Even when it's just the normal string things, when they slide across your eye, you can't see.. everything is blurry!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Community