Eye Care Community

Elderly Alcholism and Chronic Eye Problems associated with stree

My 78, soon to be 79 year old Mother, a heavy drinker her whole life had an "incident" is what the Eye Specialist is saying this summer where she was seeing lines and stars when closing her eyes.  She went to the ususal suspects, starting with her regular eye doctor, who then sent her to a specialist.

There never was a diagnosis, except to say that I am a Vet and went to school for 11 years so if I sound a bit medicalese, that is why.  Could constant stress from depression and alcholism have caused a optic nerve to have a "problem" only to then heal?  They say it's a miracle.

After hearing all this falderall, I then encouraged her to stop drinking, no sense trying again, but I did mention it, got her into a University Teaching Hospital Op Department with a great reputation for working in team concept.

Again, the eyes have lost pheripheral vision on the left side and slowly, very slowly the eye is healing.

The lead Dr. told her that yes, extreme stress can cause eye problems.  Extreme stress in my opinion can cause almost anything.

Is there anything written that puts chronic alcoholism with eye problems.

Dr. L, DVM
The Animal Kind

This discussion is related to focusing problems with eyes.
Alcohol can cause a number of problems including alcohol-tobacco toxic amblyopia, cataracts and perhaps a greater incidence of nonarteritic ischemic anterior optic neuropathy.  I suspect she had something like the latter and yes it can get better like recovery from a stroke.

You can do a literature search of the two terms "alcoholism" and "eye disease"

JCH MD