Eye Care Community

Is any cure discovered for dead optic nerve ?

I am glad that you took your time to read this question. and hope to get answer back.
My father slowly lost his vision in the left eye and after that suddenly right eye also started getting affected. It was like black cloud covering the front of the eyes. During treatment, 2-3 weeks were passed just to check what was wrong. and by that time he lost about 80% of his vision. It's already 3 years and he has only about 15-20% of vision(depending on the lighting environment). Doctors said that the optic nerve is dry (dead) so nothing can be done. But it's already 3 years passed. So, i want to know if any solution to the dead optic nerve is discovered yet? or if not what type of research are going on and how much have they been able to achieve till now?