Eye Care Community

What should I do ?

I got hit in the eye by a soccer ball while I was wearing my contacts my eye is swallon shut and red.When my eyes tear up it burns. What should I do?
Take your contacts out and don't wear them. Use cold compresses or ice pack to closed eye lids. You should have an ophthalmologist or optometrist that fit your contacts. Call them first thing in AM and get in to see if you have any eye damage. Soccer ball injuries have included corneal abrasion, bleeding in the front of the eye (hyphema), traumatic iritis, traumatic cataract, dislocated lens, vitreous hemorrhage, retinal detachment and orbital bone fractures. For contact sports wear eye protection. Many youth leagues mandate eye protection for all players.

JCH MD