GERD (Acid Reflux) Community

Accident caused stomach pain, also have stess/tension/anxiety

Hello. I am a 29 year old male. I've had GERD on and off for years. I have some stress/anxiety and that seems to be the major driving factor. About 4 weeks ago I was involved in an ATV accident. I ran in to a ditch and the handle bar rammed in to my stomach right under the rib cage. It hurt and was sore for days. It seemed to be getting better, but about a week and a half later it got worse. The pain that I had the whole time (located right where the rib cage meets the stomach) seemed to get worse when I was on a road trip.

I went to the doc and they sent me to the hospital. I guess they were concerned that it might be internal bleeding. They took a blood test at the hospital and everything seemed fine except my bilirubin was high. I think 3.1. They also gave me a ct scan with injected contrast. They said everything looked fine there. I was told the pain could be acid reflux. I was told to take it easy, eat healthy, no alcohol, and take 2 150mg zantac per day.

After a week my stomach was still hurting. I went to the doc for a follow-up and they told me to continue doing what I have been doing. They took another blood test and everything was fine, except the bilirubin. It was still high, but now lower at 1.7.

That was a week and a half ago. My stomach is still hurting. I haven't had the typical heartburn I'm used to. I have also had quite a bit of gas (could be the extra veggies I've been eating) and I'm getting a lot of noise from my stomach and lower belly.  I have added some aloe juice to my diet. I read its supposed to be good for ulcers, if that's what I have.  I've also been having a lot of sinus pressure that has made me dizzy. I have not been drinking at all.

Like I said earlier, I have had some stomach issues from stress. I guess my body handles stress poorly. Usually every 2 or 3 days I'll have a couple drinks and that seems to take away the stress. I also get tension. I clench my teeth, I get knots in my chest muscles, and I get pain throughout my body from clenching muscles. I don't try to clench anything, I just have a hard time relaxing those muscles. Again, alcohol seems to help the tension too.

Now that I have the high bilirubin and the warning not to drink alcohol I haven't had my alcohol to help. I've been really holding the tension and I wonder if its contributing to my stomach pain. I tend to hold my stomach muscle flexed when I am stressed. I also think that somehow the tension is causing the sinus pressure and dizziness. I had a fairly relaxed morning this morning and I didn't have sinus pressure. Yesterday was stressful and I was dizzy all day.

For stress/anxiety I have tried pretty much all of the SSRI's. They mostly didn't work or made things worse. I had decent results with one but the side effects were terrible so I stopped taking it. My dad also has stress issues and he takes 2 xanax a day and he says that helps him. My doctor won't prescribe that.

I take walks and baths. Try relaxing in a variety of ways but the tension/stress is still here. Some things help a little. I can't do any hard exercise or the stomach pain gets really bad. Any advice? I posted here because I really wanted to hear from people with stress related gerd. I'm not totally sure whats going on with my stomach, but I do know that I have a lot of stress that I need to somehow conquer. I can only imagine the tension is only exacerbating my stomach issue.  
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem