Healthy Cooking Community

I'm looking for some kid-friendly, healthy dinner ideas that the whole family will enjoy?

Anybody have a recipe to share that is healthy, kid-friendly and, of course, easy-to-cook?  Seems the older my kids get, the harder it is to find recipes they all will eat!  My children range in ages 9-17

They are "bored" with the same thing .. can I blame them?  So, I welcome any recipes you care to share :)

Thanks MedHelp for this great new community!   I'll be checking it daily for new ideas!

Cheryl
I made this a long time ago.  Its surprisingly good!  Perhaps not as healthy as it could be, but with lean ground beef or turkey, things could be worse!   Most children would love this.  Mr. Peek sure did. So if your child is hairy and 5'10" tall, and has a mustache, he/she will be delighted with this.

Macaroni and Cheese Lasagna  (serves 4)

1 (7.5 oz box) Macaroni and Cheese dinner (like the old standby from Kraft)
2 T margarine
1/4 cup low fat milk
1-1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup lean ground beef or turkey, cooked and drained
1 cup shredded part skim  mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 T grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350
Prepare Macaroni and cheese as directed on box, using the margarine and milk
Spoon half of the mac n cheese into a lightly greased 8 in square pan
Top with half of the spaghetti sauce, ground beef or turkey, and mozzarella cheese
Repeat layers once more.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  
Bake, uncovered, 20 min or until heated through.

Very easy.  It sounds like it would be odd, b/c of the boxed macaroni and cheese.  Its not very sophisticated, but its easy and could be worse for you.   Pair with a healthy salad.  

NI per 1 serving:

481 cal, 22gm fat, 1.5 gm fiber, 23 gm protein.

I make homemade baked chicken tenders for the kids with a variety of coatings. Sometimes I use a bisquick/parmesan mix, sometimes I do a glaze, variety works so well with kids.

Pasta is always a hit in my house and they don't notice the difference between regular and whole wheat pasta.
I like to make this when it's really hot outside. My whole family likes it! It's from Pampered Chef. If you don't have a stone you can use a cookie sheet. (I just like how things cook with the stone!) Sometimes I double the recipe depending on how many people we have or how hungry everyone is.

Cool Veggie Pizza
1 pkg (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent roll dough (I use the low-fat kind)
1 pkg (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened (again, I use the low-fat kind)
1 1/2 tsp mayonaise
1 Tbs dill weed
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread crescent roll dough into a 12-inch circle on 13 inch or larger stone or cookie sheet. Pinch seams together to seal. Bake 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven. Cool completely. (This is important! If you try spreading the cream cheese on when it's still warm it will make the cream cheese melt) Blend together remaining ingredients. Spread cream cheese mixture on top of cooled crust.

Toppings: Choose any that sounds good to you!
Zucchini
Mushrooms (raw not cooked)
Green or red peppers
Broccoli
Green onions
Tomatoes, seeded
Cucumbers, seeded
Cherry tomatoes
Slice thinly. Sprinkle a layer of each vegetable desired over cheese layer. Refrigerate before serving. To serve, cut into wedges or squares. Can be made one day ahead.

Sometimes I will make this for dessert on the same day. The only thing that's probably not quite as healthy is the sugar cookie part but it's got lot's of fruit to make up for it! :)
Again, this is from Pampered Chef.

Fruit Dessert Pizza
1 pack Sugar cookie dough
1 pack (8-oz) cream cheese
⅓ cup Sugar
3 or 4 Types of favourite fruit- I like strawberry; banana, kiwi and peaches, sliced thinly

Cut cookie dough into rounds and place close together in a circle on a pizza stone, or cookie sheet, press them so they form one large round pizza shape, cook according to package instuctions. Cream together softened cream chesse and sugar, when "pizza" is cool, spread mix on the top, then top with fruit, slice and serve (I do not remove my whole pizza from my stone, as it breaks easily) You can also use a cookie sheet if you don't have a stone.

Try it! I think you will love them! :)
Thanks!  Both are great ideas!!

I'm going to try the Mac & Cheese Lasagna tomorrow and definitely going to try the bisquick coated homemade chicken nuggets!  

I never used Bisquick and am anxious to try that as a base coating  .. does it make it crunchy even though it isn't fried?  I assume I bake it?  

Mine *may* detect the strong flavor of the cheese .. any other suggestions what works well with the Bisquick for flavoring?

C~
Our posts went through at the same time!  Thanks for your great recipes, also!  I love Pampered Chef and it's been quite awhile since I've ordered anything or seen any of their recipes.  

And the good news is that I do own a stone so all you've written out for me will work well!

I'm going to print the recipes and put them in my recipe box- I can use the "light" cream cheese as an alternative .... summer is coming ..... they will be home from school in just another 2 weeks ..... I want to have a jump-start this year with daily dinners   .............  especially easy ones like these that are different!

C~
The cool thing with the bisquick is you can tweak it, I even use dry ranch seasoning in it. I have a recipe for that as well, I use it in cooking, never actually made the dip/dressing from it ;-)

And it has a light crunch to it, but not crispy. In the spirit of keeping things lighter I bake, but you could probably do a quick fry in a sauce pan with some PAM.

It goes great with eggplant pesto stacks.