Healthy Cooking Community

Kid Friendly Healthy Fiber Filled Recipes - Help!

My 4 year old keeps getting stopped up, so to speak, and the doctor gave him a gentle laxative but told me to start getting more fiber in his diet. I'm trying but he's so picky! I did buy the yogurt with the fiber because he likes yogurt. It's so hard to get him to eat so many foods though! He's a typical kid who likes pizza, spaghetti, mac & cheese, chicken nuggets, pancakes and chicken noodle soup or Ramen noodle soup. Anything else is very, very hard to get him to eat!
He will eat cucumbers if I take the skin off, and apples, bananas, melons, but that's about it in the fruit and veggie department! I need help getting him to eat more healthy, fiber rich foods. Maybe something where I can sneak the good stuff in? Lol, I'm just getting desperate. I've tried different things but I'm not much of a cook and don't have a big imagination, I guess. I could sure use some ideas of healthy, fiber rich, kid friendly recipes! Can anyone help?
Thanks everyone!
you can trick him with bread wonder bread niw makes fiber enriched bread that looks white, so its better for kids..also any beans black beans rolled in a tortilla, try whole wheat pasta it tastes good and has more fiber...also juices can be bought that are fiber enriched. Anything with 5 grams of fiber or more per searving is good. My son and myself have the same problem a nurse friend of my told me about Kellogs Cracklin Oat Bran...we eat it like one would potatoe chips, its very good and has about 115 grams of fiber per serving.Limit his cheese for now and red meat both are "binding"  try broccoli and dip we called broccoli trees when my kids where little cause they kinda look like them..also rasins are great, somehow the tiny little boxes you can buy them in make them seem like a candy..
not 115 grams of fiber on the cereal should read 15 grams..it does taste really good the pieces are large ,,has a sugary cinnamon taste.
Ask the Dr if you can give him benefiber.   It's a powder you put into liquids.  It does not have any taste at all and is not gritty.      
Look for Fiber One granola bars at the grocery store. Those things are *awesome.* They have 35% daily value of fiber and they're delicious--almost like chocolate candy bars. They come in a few flavors, but mine and Trevor's favorite flavor is the chocolate chip. Whenever either of us get "stopped up," trust me, the best, quickest, and most gentle natural laxative I've ever come across are the Fiber One granola bars. What'll happen is if he eats one, wait about 1-4 hours, and he'll get REALLY gassy (Trev and I call them "fart bars" for good reason), but he won't cramp up or be uncomfortable. However, DO NOT give him more than one bar in 24 hours!!! Then he will be *extremely* bloated and have lots of cramping.
Within 24 hours, I can guarantee you that he will have a nice, big, soft, easily passed bowel movement.
After he eats a fart bar, make sure that the rest of the day he drinks plenty of water or juice, fruits and veggies, and whole grain cereals or oatmeal. That'll also help speed the poo process.
Benefiber is also a good aid to mix with his liquidy meals (like Ramen) or in his drinks. It's tasteless and colorless and dissolves almost immediately and works really well if used daily at least once or twice a day.
Ha ha, I love it! The fart bars, lol. I guess we'll have to try those!

He does like oatmeal, I forgot about that. Cherie, I've tried giving him burritos, he won't eat them. He also won't eat broccoli. I tried the whole cute trees thing too and he won't eat them. I've tried giving to him with dip, etc. also baby carrots. The only raw veggie he'll eat is cucumber slices.
I do already give my family whole wheat bread. They all grew up on that. We never had white bread.
Does anyone have any ideas how to get more veggies into this kid???
Pizza with teensy tiny diced veggies on it.

Meatloaf with pureed baby food veggies mixed in.

Omelet with tiny diced veggies (slightly steamed) inside, with cheese.

There are tons of soups and stews on here, too!
See the Breakfast Cookie recipe, too.  5 gms of fiber!

Also, take a look at this site for great recipies to hide veggies and other healthy stuff in food your whole family will love:

http://www.thesneakychef.com/
Here's a mac & cheese recipe that has cauliflower, zuccini, sweet potatoes and carrots "hidden" in it:

http://www.thesneakychef.com/free_recipe_mac_cheese.php

I've tried a few of the Sneaky Chef foods (I have a co-worker who's wife makes stuff from Sneaky Chef all the time and he brings them in for us to eat), and you seriously cannot taste the health foods in them. I've eaten the spinach and blueberry brownies and could tell they tasted a little different, but they were still really good (I don't think a young kid could tell the difference). I also tried the navy bean chocolate chip cookies and couldn't even tell the difference between those and regular chocolate chip cookies.
You can also use babyfood prunes just like applesauce for replacing the fat in muffins and some cookies.
Wow, these are all great ideas, thanks so much everyone!
I'll have to check that website, AJ, thanks! :)
Do a very small dice of carrots, celery and zucchini.  Saute them in a bit of olive oil and add into your spaghetti sauce.  Do the same to your chicken soup.  Add wheat germ to your pancake batter and hide fruit in them too.  If he likes mashed potatoes leave the skin on.  Find ways to take canned beans (try chick peas, kidney beans or white kidney beans), puree them and look for ways to include them in soup or spaghetti sauce.  Good luck!