Healthy Cooking Community

"Party Foods" that won't break a diet

my friends and I are trying to be healthier so we're looking for some yummy snacks to have when we hang out. Three out of the four of us are vegetarians so no meat.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Oh welcome welcome.  I do have a couple, which I will get and write below!!  Glad you found us
The steadier you keep your blood sugar levels, the less urge for snacking and craving.  When your blood sugar dips, you get the munchies and feel fatigued, and the sugar cravings arise.  Then if you eat something that makes your blood sugar spike, it causes you to secrete insulin, which makes your blood sugar go low again, and the cycle of snacking /craving starts all over again.

If you google "rank list insulinogenic foods" you will see which foods are least likely to cause insulin secretion (which will help with reducing snacking).

Low insulinogenic foods (vegetarian kind) examples are:
Nuts
Avocado
Cheese
Boiled eggs
Full fat yogurt
COMMUNITY LEADER
Black eyed pea caviar:

Really delitious!!

Ingredients
◾1 (11-ounce) container Frieda’s Blackeyed Peas
◾1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel sweet corn (no salt added version preferred), rinsed and drained
◾1/2 bunch cilantro, minced
◾3 green onions (scallions), minced, using both white and green parts
◾2 ripe avocados, peeled and cut into small dice
◾6 ounces cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters

Dressing:
◾1/4 cup red wine vinegar or lime juice
◾1/4 cup olive oil
◾Pinch salt
◾1 teaspoon ground cumin
◾½ teaspoon mild Hatch chile powder
◾A few grinds of black pepper
◾1 bag tortilla chips (lime flavor preferred!)

Instructions
1.In a small pot, add peas and cover with water by 1 inch. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, until tender (taste one to determine). Drain and cool.
2.Make salad: In a large bowl, add cooled peas, corn, cilantro, green onions, avocado and tomatoes. Stir gently to combine.
3.Make dressing: Mix ingredients in small jar and shake well to combine. Pour over salad and stir gently to coat ingredients. Do not mash or overstir or you will break up the avocados and peas.
4.Serve with tortilla chips as dippers.
5.Serve alongside a jar of Tabasco, Sriracha or another hot sauce, so those who like things hotsy totsy can spice up their own!
6.Serves 8.

Vegetarians mean dairy is okay right?

I enjoy crackers and different kinds of cheese, with turkey breast.  Condiments always are a good choice, as they can jazz things up any way you find pleasing to the palate.  There are a bazillion different kinds of baked crackers on the market now, and some are fabulous!  Two of my faves are parmesan herb pretzel thins, and baked wheat thin garden vegetable crackers.  REALLY good!

There are healthier, lower fat versions of things like spinach dip, buffalo chicken dip, etc.  

What kinds of foods were you guys used to snacking on when you get together?  It may be helpful to know what you were eating at your gatherings, to see how you could maybe alter the foods a bit to make them a little more healthy, but still something you would choose.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Here is a recipe that I posted yesterday that is a for a good version of hummus

edemme hummus

Ingredients
1 c. cooked edamame
1/4 c. tahini
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 garlic clove, peeled
2 tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh herbs (optional--I used rosemary, thyme, and basil)
2 tbsp. olive oil (add more if you like your hummus creamier)
salt to taste (I used 1/4 tsp.)

Instructions
1.Combine edamame, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and herbs in food processor. Process until smooth. Drizzle olive oil through feed tube, continuing to process until oil is fully incorporated. Season with salt to taste and serve.

(you can add more lemon, like another teaspoon if you want to)

COMMUNITY LEADER
You can also make a pretty skewer of fruit on a kabob.  Some strawberries, pineapple, melon . . .   those look really nice on a tray.  The tiny bit of extra effort to skewer them kabob style makes your guests feel like they are a treat.  :>)  If you want and aren't opposed to dairy, you could serve a yogurt dip with them.

Roasted vegi kabobs would also be good with some portabella mushrooms included would be tasty.