Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
389974 tn?1331015242

Recipe requests?

Swampy just went shopping, and realizes that he uses a lot of different vegetable ingredients. Swampy will be glad to post more recipes, but are there specific ingredients that you pass up in the grocery store that you are curious about? If Swampy has used them, he'll post a recipe or tips for cooking them.

Some of the types of things that Swampy cooks with pretty routinely:

parsnips
chayote squash (christophene fruit)
plaintains
yuca (cassava)

(Anyone else use unusual ingredients? Share and Swampy night want recipes from you)

12 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Have you ever tried jicama?

I love it just as a snack all by itself (cold and crisp), on a veggie platter, or in a salad.
Helpful - 0
172023 tn?1334672284
Plantains, please!
Helpful - 0
483733 tn?1326798446
Plantains would be great!  Parsnips too!  I don't think I can get the other two here, maybe yucca.

Artichokes are something I cook - my husband taught me to make his Nona's stuffed artichokes - out of this world!  

Another weird one are the chicken hearts my ex-husband insisted I cook him (they do taste good).

Asparagus is my favourite vegetable.  How common is it for everyone here?  I eat it at least once a week.

On the fish side I often cook rainbow trout.  My husband won't eat tuna or salmon so I turn to it for my red fish fix.

Brussel sprouts are my husband's favourite so cook those quite a bit too.

Yogurt cheese or labineh and pine nuts are amazing!
Helpful - 0
428506 tn?1296557399
I would love to learn more about how to select and cook with eggplant, artichokes, asparagus, brussel spouts, or any overlooked produce.  Bring it on, please!  
Helpful - 0
389974 tn?1331015242
Okay, let Swwampy start with plantains...recipe to follow later on.
Helpful - 0
272338 tn?1252280404
Yes Trudie, stuffed atichokes are out of this world. I also love asparagus and brussle sprouts too. Turnips, either raw or cooked rate right up there too.
Helpful - 0
389974 tn?1331015242
Yuca (cassava) should be available anywhere there is a Latino or African population. It survives shipping well.
Helpful - 0
I have the best recipe for brussel sprouts.Boil as many as desired in about 2 inches of water for 15 minutes.Cut in half lengthwise add a couple pats of butter.Squeeze about 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon add a handful of pinenuts, cook additional 5minutes or until tender. Taste better then you can imagine. Add some fried salmon cooked in butter,garlic,fresh dill and some sliced lemon and baked potato with butter,sour cream and chives if you want. Healthy and so good Oh! I always have lots of tartar sauce with salmon,mmmm
Helpful - 0
483733 tn?1326798446
Here are links to some brussel sprout, asparagus, parsnip, and turnip recipes already posted on this site.  I will try to get together some of my artichoke things.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/679781

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/671804

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/630329

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/629782

Helpful - 0
599170 tn?1300973893
I have grown very fond of eating raw walnuts or pecans, I know they are good in baking and in salads, Im wondering if they can be used in any other recipies, Im trying to lose weight so no deserts.
Helpful - 0
389974 tn?1331015242
Sure, Swampy uses walnuts in lots of main dishes, pecans sometimes too.

The easiest way to add some nuts is to hand break a few of them and add them to your rice just as you start to cook it.

A little more work is to make pesto, even though pine nuts are the traditional thing for pesto, you can make it with cilantro and walnuts. However, that won't help you lose weight.

Helpful - 0
483733 tn?1326798446
I was out for dinner the other night and had pork tenderloin encrusted with walnuts and cookd with apple sauce.  Out of this world!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community

Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.