Vietnamese Beef Salad

We had this for our Sunday dinner and we loved it. We halved the recipe since it's just the two of us. We also substituted shredded romaine lettuce for the butter lettuce, but otherwise we followed the recipe pretty closely. Next time, we'll cut back on the beef a bit, since we really didn't need that much meat to feel satisfied.

Vietnamese Beef Salad

The marinade for this beef includes lemongrass, an aromatic herb that is a staple in Southeast Asian cooking. Resembling a green onion in shape, it has long, thin, gray-green leaves. Only the pale bottom part of the stalk is used in cooking.

Ingredients:

* 3 garlic cloves, crushed
    * 2 lemongrass stalks, thinly sliced
    * 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    * 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
    * 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
    * 2 Tbs. sesame oil
    * 1⁄2 tsp. red chili paste
    * 1 lb. flank steak, sliced 1⁄4 inch thick
    * 4 oz. dried thin rice noodles
    * 1 head butter lettuce, large leaves torn in half
    * 2 carrots, peeled and cut into long julienne strips
    * 1⁄2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
    * 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
    * 1⁄2 cup fresh mint leaves
    * Vietnamese dipping sauce for serving (see
       related recipe at right)

Directions:

In a bowl, whisk together the garlic, lemongrass, brown sugar, lime juice, fish sauce, sesame oil and chili paste. Add the beef and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 6 hours.

Cook the noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water. On a large platter, arrange the lettuce, noodles and carrots.

Preheat a grill pan over high heat. Remove the beef from the marinade; discard the marinade. Grill the beef, turning once, about 1 minute per side. Arrange the beef on the salad. Garnish with the peanuts, cilantro and mint. Serve with the dipping sauce. Serves 4.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I love Thai or Vietnamese food.  I will definitely try this. Do you have the recipe for the dipping sauce?
Helpful - 0
Yes, I actually posted the dipping sauce in a different post because I used it for these spring/summer rolls I make. Here's a link to that post:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/551328

I LOVE this sauce. I just keep a jar of it in the fridge and when it gets low, I just add more to it. It's pretty sour, so it hasn't gone bad on me yet. I'm not sure what "bad" would smell like given that it kind of reeks anyway. But I love it!
Helpful - 0
This looks really good sk, but Swampy wonders -- would it be okay to use Argentinian beef, or does it have to come from Vietnam?

* rimshot *
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community