Heart Rhythm Community

Persistent sinus tachycardia

To Whom It May Concern-

I am having persistent sinus tachycardia and have been through 2 event monitors and 3 heart Holters. The rhythm on the last event monitor (3 weeks) showed persitent tachycardia w/some PACs. My doctor is now recommending an EP specialist based off of the results.

I currently take 50mg of Toprol XL at night, which doesn't appear to slow things down. The main issue I am having is persistent sweating/exhaustion with minimal exercise or activity. My echocardiogram is fine and nothing else has surfaced.

My heart rate during the day ranges from 100-140 bpm.

I am very concerned about the cold sweat issue with minimal exertion. There is a tentative thought it could be a variant of POTS syndrome, but no real answers.

Can anyone shed some light on the above or experience something similar?

Thank you for your time.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Your post is new so I'm sure you'll get some inputs from others with similar heart rhythm issues... but in the meantime I offer:

A resting HR of 100 is at the edge of tachycardia and may just be lived with, a HR approaching 140 (and more) needs to be lowered.  The classical treatment being beta blockers and calcium channel blockers which each have the associated side-effects.  I take both to control my atrial fibrillation driven HR and that keeps my resting HR in the 80s.  

Of course, when you are up and around a HR over 100 is normal and if climbing a hill/stairs or fast walking/jogging the HR may well go over 140 and be just fine - depends on your age.
50mg of Metoprolol is rather low.  You still have a lot of range to work within.  As a comparison, I'm currently on 75mg. following my ablation for SVT, and that's just to keep my blood pressure nice.  I was on 100mg for my SVT, and was as high as 200mg when we were experimenting with dosages.  I'd talk to your physician about bumping it up a bit.

Also, Toprol XL (metoprolol succinate) is a timed release version of metoprolol.  If you are good about taking medications, Metoprolol Tartrate is perhaps a quarter of the cost of the Toprolol XL, except you have to take it twice a day.  I take mine every 12 hours, at dinner and upon rising; 5 and 5 is easy to remember.
I hasten to add that body mass will play a boig part on your dose.  If you're a big guy (50mg) may be like taking a Tic-Tac.  If you're a little female, a shade of 100lbs., that same dose may lay you out flat.
COMMUNITY LEADER
I am a big guy  (240 pounds or worse : (  )  and 50 mg  (25 every 12 hours to reduce cost) is about as much as I can tolerate.  I think I was on 100 (I was taking the slow release at that time) was what I was taking when my doctor added a calcium channel blocker and lowered by BB to 50 mg.  I am planing to talk with my Cardiologist on my 6 mo check-up about cutting my BB and CC dose in half to see if it helps reduce the fatigue I feel (if it is just my age, then there BB and CCB have little to do with it).  I take those durgs simply to control my HR, and I can monitor that myself and go back to the higher dose if the HR starts to climb too much.  That's what I plan to suggest.  Some people have a low tolerance to the side effects.  For me I would believe less is better when it comes to medication, so even if my fatigue doesn't change, I'd be ahead if I can trim back on my dose levels. I've been on this stuff for a long time and worry some about he long term affects.

Sorry if I have drifted off-topic, but I share the above BB experience just as one sample/example.