Hepatitis C Community

HCV, Fatigue and Adrenal Stress

Hi All,

If you are pre-tx or post-tx and suffering from fatigue then there is a good chance that your adrenals are struggling because of your chronic infection.  This is even more likely if you have had HCV for a long time, as I did.  I hope I am now on the way to SVR but it is too early to know, anyway my fatigue did not go away after tx.  I came to the knowledge of adrenal stress via looking at the thyroid hormone deficiency that I had.  I found out that your thyroid can't work properly, even with hormone supplements, if your adrenals are not working properly.  I did this inexpensive and simple saliva test and was shocked to find my levels of cortisol much higher than the normal range, and my DHEA lower than the normal range.  

Here is the test:
https://www.gdx.net/uk/product/27

Here is more info on it.
http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Common_Hormonal_Problems_in_CFS_-_Adrenal
http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Adrenal_Stress_Profile_test_result_-_What_does_it_mean%3F

Folks, if this test comes back with your cortisol either in the high red zone above normal or the low red zone below normal then this is not a condition that you can afford to ignore.  This post is just a heads up on it so I won't go into what can be done about it, just say that it can be fixed and for most people it is not that difficult to fix, but it does require intervention.  

Having hepC puts a strain on all the systems of the body, including the endocrine system.  Whether you are pre or post SVR, my advice is to support your body with the best nutrition and target your adrenals in particular as those are the glands that bear the brunt of the strain.

dointime  
Thanks so much for sharing this! I have just become aware of this problem, really glad you posted.