Hepatitis C Community

interferon or peginterferon for chronic hep c geno 3

Hi everyone !I'm 37 yrs old married woman with 4 kids recently I found out that I'm Hcv + geno type 3 now the doctors are going to start my medication ,I just want to know what are my best options for treatment as I want less adverse effects possible,should I go for interferon 2a with ribav or peginterferon with ribv tablet ,please guide me.
Hi Sarah....I could be wrong but I'm not sure that interferon is used to much in treatment anymore due to adverse effects. I believe there are other SOT that are much more tolerable with shorter Tx times. There are so many people that can give you info on a more preferable Tx protocol. Someone will answer your question soon. Good luck to you and remember we are all here for you.
Take care and be well
Peace
Deb
EASL Recommendations on Treatment of Hepatitis C 2014

4.7.3. Treatment of HCV genotype 3 infection

Three treatment options are available for patients infected with HCV
genotype 3. Based on data with other genotypes and preliminary
results in a small group of genotype 3-infected patients, the triple
combination of pegylated IFN-α, ribavirin, and sofosbuvir (Option
1) appears to be more efficacious with a shorter duration than
the combination of sofosbuvir and ribavirin (Option 2), which is
suboptimal in patients with cirrhosis and who have previously failed
IFN and ribavirin. Although few data are available, the combination
of sofosbuvir and daclatasvir, with or without ribavirin, is an attractive
IFN-free option for patients infected with HCV genotype 3. In settings
where none of these options is available, the combination of pegylated
IFN-α and ribavirin remains acceptable [2]

http://www.easl.eu/assets/application/files/easl_recommendations_hcv_2014_full.pdf

NEITHER - GO SEE ANOTHER DOCTOR!!

And welcome to the Forum.  You will find a lot of excellent advice, information, support and caring here.

Sarah: I, too, am Genotype 3.  My doctor chose Sovaldi with Ribavirin as the best of the current treatments available.  It has a lower % of SVR w/Gt3 than with some other genotyoes, BUT so much better than the INF & PEG rates.  PLUS, the daclatasvir (called Daklinza in Europe, and probably will be here, too), a drug whose trials on Gt3s, relapsers, prior non-responders and cirrhotics, by Bristol- Myers, Squibb, up for approval in November (or Dec?  just saw a new post w/a firm FVA date) in combination with Gilead's Sovaldi EVEN WITHOUT RIBAVIRIN, has a fantastic SVR % Something like 94/100% !!  That is my Dr's choice as a fall back plan IF the Sol/Riba doesn't do the trick!

The new Harvoni has made some references to treating All genotypes, too.  Also AbbVie and Merck and another Pharma are working on their own brands of Gilead's Harvoni - a one pill per day treatment for 8, 12, or 24 weeks, depending on the Gt, and prior treatment (Tx) history, and liver condition.  I think a new post here mentioned that those two might have their own 3rd med to take with the combo pill.

The Daclatasvir/Sovaldi combo will be a two pill a day - one of each for 12 or 24 weeks, but most people can be compliant to that.  Most of us are taking 6 or 7 pills a day now, and those still on some form of Inf have an injection as well.  

It has been mentioned on here that INF and, maybe, Peg will probably be taken of the table for hepc in the future, just as Victrellis is now.

You asked about the easiest treatment - that is NOT anything with INF in it and that in combo with the Ribavirin is brutal.  You have 4 children, you NEED to have the least sides available. IF your liver is in good shape, you may want to wait until the beginning of the year for these new, easier to take, less side effects (sides).

What is you present viral load?  Have you had a Biopsy?  If so, what are the results?  Is your Dr/Drs Hepatologists or Infectious Disease Specialist.

Please don't hurry into treatment until you do a LOT more reading and others on this thread have responded.  Many of us have had hepc for 40+ years.  We have people who have cured (= SVR), those who have relapsed, or failed on treatment for some reason, those on treatment now, and other newbies, like yourself, just getting ready to begin treatment.  We have people who are waiting for liver transplants and those who are post transplant, so you will have all kinds of experience behind the information and advice gives.  Just remember, we are not doctors, just patients like yourself!  This is to inform and empower you so that you can make good, informed, decisions, and ask all the right questions of your doctors - or choose another, if necessary, as you want the best treatment available.

Again, welcome to the Forum!  Pat
Excellent advice Pat...so glad you were able to share with Sarah as this can be so overwhelming...it was for me......thx for being our own little Hep C angel
Peace
Deb
Hello, everyone above has given you excellent advice.  Please do not do either of the treatments that you mentioned above.

You are young, you have children, a family that is counting on you.  Newer tx's as Hrspwr has mentioned is much shorter of a time period, less harsh

Do you know how your liver is doing?  If you have little damage you have time to find a more knowledgeable doctor who knows about the new treatments that you can do that will take much less time.

I know you don't know any of us and you want to trust your doctor but please trust that some of us have been through the interferon and if we could have waited for the newer treatments we would have. 48 weeks vs 12 or 24 is a huge difference

I hope you can find a good hepatologist. There is a list of "good doctors" on here.  I will go look for now

Take Care
Dee