Herpes Community

Please help! New Born at home, getting cold sore, kissed baby

PLEASE HELP.  I have posted here before, and I realize that my anxiety is quite high, and I have asked several redundant questions in regard to neonatal herpes, transmitted through HSV 1 cold sores. I have since given birth to my newborn son, he is 6 days old. I have been on Valtrex, 1000mg per day, since last Thursday, when I thought I had a cold sore coming on. He was born (15 days early) that Saturday.  

Since then, I have continued with the 1000mg/day, however, in the last few days, I had forgotten to take the two pills (500mg each) 12 hours apart, and have taken at odd hours, and/or in the middle of the night when I remembered (life is hectic with 3 children 3 years old and under).  

I have refrained from kissing my newborn son at all, and I have been very diligent in asking others not to kiss him, or even touch his hands or face. My hands are sore and split from excessive hand washing (yes, I am well aware of my anxiety and OCD), that is how cautious I have been.

Earlier today, I couldn't resist- I kissed my baby's little bare newborn feet.  I felt guilty immediately, and wiped them with a baby wipe.  A few minutes later, I felt even worse about it, and wiped them with a very tiny bit of alcohol (but again, several minutes had passed by then).  I had one sore spot on my lip at that point, but didn't think it was a cold sore coming on.

A few hours later, and while running my teeth along my bottom lip, I felt sore spots right where I usually break out. My lip is red and swollen, and it feels like I am having prodromal symptoms.  I took an extra Valtrex, 500mg.  It definitely feels like I am getting a cold sore, but no blister yet. I think the Valtrex will take care of this outbreak before it forms blisters, but I am definitely contagious right now.

I thought the baby's feet were a "safe place" to kiss him, because I thought the virus needed a break in the skin or a mucus membrane in order to get in.  But, from my reading, it seems any skin-to-skin contact is dangerous for a newborn, and I am scared out of my mind.  His feet are dry and cracked a little bit- typical newborn skin.

I am crying my eyes out, thinking that I have passed on neonatal herpes to my newborn, despite my overzealous efforts to keep him from this, and it is my own fault, just because I wanted to kiss his little feet.

Please help me here... can he contract it from skin-to-skin contact in a non-typical area of the body, such as the soles of his feet? They did take blood from his foot area at birth, but it is now a scab, and not open.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.