Liver Disorders Community

Elevated Ammonia Blood Level

For the past 2 summers my husband smells of ammonia when he sweats.  We went to our regular dr. who after blood tests told us his ammonia level was 51.  A repeated test a month later his ammonia level is 32.  They did an ultra sound on his liver, galbladded & ducts which all looked normal.  Should we seek an opinion from an expert in determining if there is something to be concerned about?  He is not a body builder and does not eat excessive amounts of protein.  I read that repeated episodes of an elevated ammonia level can be toxic.  Is this only in cases of an extemely elevated blood ammonia levels?  
Tell you husband to get a blood test for his liver.  The liver controls ammonia levels in the blood.  The liver can look normal, but can still be causing this problem.  Hep C causes high enzyme levels, a low white blood cell count, and high ammonia levels in the blood.  Eating a lot of sodium can also cause elevated ammonia levels in the blood.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem