Hi Mangini1--was loss of vision or the blurriness your first symptom? Did you see an optometrist? I joined this site just today because I've been referred to one for similar symptoms, so I've been trying to find who else has gone through it. I was informed that if the eyes aren't working as a team it can cause migraines, dizziness, and motion sickness. It can get worse as the years go by. I hope you find some relief soon!
Hi and welcome to the Migraines & Headaches Community.
It sounds like typical migraine stuff. The shaking brain feeling is just a migraine aura. Blurry eyesight and so forth is all typical of migraines.
You are on the right track with having an appt with a Neurologist. They can give you some abortive drugs as well as preventative drugs. My doctor told me to come in when I have a headache for more than 7 days so, next time don't wait as long. Keep in mind that treating migraines is a marathon not a sprint. There are no quick and easy answers, it takes time to try this and try that and maybe tweak this or that.
In the meantime here are a few over the counter tips that might get you through until your appointment.
1. There are several symptoms of migraines and what causes the pain of a migraine is the blood vessels in your brain become dilated. So, sometimes it helps it you put a bit of pressure on your head. I am sure you have already been doing this unconsciously with your hands from time to time. So, get a bandanna or a cloth headband and wrap it snugly around your head.
2. If you rub Mentholatum across your forehead and on your temples that helps relax those tense muscles. You can do this with or without the wrap, depending on if you like the heat or not.
3. Try either a cold or hot pack, whichever is more comfy to you.
4. The best OTC meds that I have found that works is Excedrin. It is a combo of Aspirin, Tylenol and Caffeine and that happens to be an excellent combo for migraines.
5. I mentioned caffeine before...well, drink coffee, Mt Dew, take Vivirin...sometimes a mega dose of caffeine will stop it in its tracks.
6. If you get nauseous or dizzy get some Meclizine from the pharmacy (the stuff behind the counter) you can take 25mg three times a day as needed. Yes it works on both.
Keep us posted.