Neurology Community

CSF rhinorrhea

A few years ago I was sitting on my front porch swing when one of the chains broke and I fell backwards against the house. The base of my skull hit the brick wall very hard. I was a little disoriented but not unconscious. As I stood up a bunch of clear watery fluid came rushing out of my nose, I would say a cup or so. That was really odd but it didn’t seem like a big deal at the time since I’ve taken a few knocks in my day. However, I was alarmed enough to call someone and stay on the phone with them until I felt better.

I felt fine in a few minutes, just a sore head, and I felt around for tenderness or a skull fracture (don’t know if I would have been able to feel that), and everything seemed ok. It’s been probably 4 years since it happened and I’ve never had any odd symptoms that I’m aware of.

I thought about this the other day and decided to google it. Apparently it was CSF rhinorrhea. My question is are there any issues that could still be a problem since I never sought medical treatment? Should I worry about getting it checked out now?