Neurology Community

Difficulty reading and writing

I've been experiencing difficulties focusing while reading and writing since I was in high school. It takes me several attempts to get through a single paragraph and even then, I have to reread in order to understand the content. More recently, I find myself only able to skim-read things. When I'm writing, I frequently pause and get distracted, oftentimes making my ideas jumbled. I have difficulties paying attention and focusing on class lectures and long conversations. Also, I can't help shaking my leg while I'm sitting, this has been a persisting problem since I was young. I have never been to a doctor for ADD/ADHD, but now that I'm in law school, these symptoms are becoming a major concern. Are these symptoms alone sufficient to diagnose this condition? Should I even bother going to a physician?
Sure, you can go to a physician.  But I'll bet what is going on is, you are a physical and nervous wreck.  This can be alieved by taking up a physical activity that you do on a regular basis, like four times a week at least, to where you break a sweat, like running or swimming or tennis or horseback riding or self-defense class... even long walks thru campus will do.  Exercise releases not only tension, but also the feel-good endorphins in the brain.  This conspires to help you sleep really long and well.  Don't eat a lot of junk at night, three squares a day is fine, and stay well-hydrated, take a half vit/mineral tablet twice a week, too, and cut back on caffeine.  LASTLY, get your eyes checked, OR just pick up some drugstore magnifying glasses for reading and writing, it helps to SEE, or else you'll lose concentration from that, too.  You're just tired from being tired!