Neurology Community
45k Members

Mild chronic dizziness

For the past couple of weeks I have been getting mild feelings of dizziness. It occurs suddenly and intermittently throughout the day. The sudden dizziness feeling are very mild and do not inhibit my daily activities, however, it is somewhat of an annoyance and could interfere with daily activities if it were to get more serious. I did some research online, my symptoms appear to most resemble "inner ear dizziness due to blood vessel spasm"

Insight into how serious this issue is and what type of treatments are available would be much appreciated.

Hi, “dizziness happens when there is not enough blood getting to the brain. This can happen if there is a sudden drop in your blood pressure or you are dehydrated from vomiting, diarrhea, fever, or other causes. Many people, especially as they get older, experience lightheadedness if they get up too quickly from a lying or seated position. Lightheadedness often accompanies the flu, hypoglycemia, common cold, or allergies.
More serious conditions that can lead to lightheadedness include heart problems (such as abnormal heart rhythm or heart attack), stroke, and severe drop in blood pressure (shock). If any of these serious disorders is present, you will usually have additional symptoms like chest pain, a feeling of a racing heart, loss of speech, change in vision, or other symptoms.
The most common causes of vertigo are benign positional vertigo and labyrinthitis. Benign positional vertigo is vertigo that happens when you change the position of your head. Labyrinthitis usually follows a cold or flu and is caused by a viral infection of the inner ear. Meniere's disease is another common inner ear problem. It causes vertigo, loss of balance, and ringing in the ears”. Taken from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003093.htm

Do you have some hearing problem too or tinnitus?