Neurology Community
45k Members

Neurological Problems

Hi, if you do not wish to read all this please scroll down and you can just read over the symptoms, your insight is very much appreciated. I'll try to explain it best I can as I am having the
most negative symptoms as I type this. When I was 12 years old I had been diagnosed with an
essential tremor, my fingers and hands would shake and the doctor told me it was due to playing
video games too much, poor diet and weak physical condition (I was really skinny despite the fact
that I was involved in multiple sports and was pretty athletic, outgoing). I was put in a physical
therapy class at a clinc just down the street from my school which I would go to during lunchtime.
At about 14 my twitching had moved up to my elbow, my wrists and forearms would shake really bad doing
small tasks and my physical therapist recommended I see a neurologist. I went there two times
and had a CAT scan which came up negative but the doctor wanted to see me for follow up appointments
which I never went to because I moved to the other side of the state (Minnesota). Anyway as time
wore on it got worse and worse and by the time I was 17 it was in my whole body and worsened. At this time
I began to experience bad anxiety almost like panic attacks and naturally my condition got even
worse from this. From there I became socially isolative and developed depression. From there I
began to develop cognitive problems and gradually I began to experience a sort of light-headedness
and excessive staring. My nerves and twitching got worse and worse with constant teeth-grinding and
even the nerves in my neck would constantly pulsate as my head would shake around (back and forth).
I began to feel a sense of uncoordination and retardation not anything too severe its like half of
my body kind of freezes into an autistic (wrist to chest) like position and this is what is comfortable
for me as frequent loose-movements rattle my nerves and make me feel uncomfortable. Naturally
this is embarassing and gets worse. At around 20 I slowly and seemingly permanently developed
visual (and increased cognitive) distortions. This effect seemed to be coming from my sinuses.
Upon seeing bright lights I would get caught staring at them as I would feel a sense of calm and
lightheadedness, also a sort of detachment. Where upon staring away I'd experience sudden strong anxieties/shocks.
I began to develop a sense of delirium as a result of these visual problems. Difficulty remembering
things, concentrating, performing complex tasks. The visual phenomenen seems to be directly related
to my nerves as I found that if I shined a pocket light into my eyes, closing one eye then the other,
I was able to track it down to something with my left eye. The right eye gives a sense of concentration
after doing it for a few minutes, and the left eye gets rid of the vertigo/light-headed and nervous effects
after a few minutes of exposure. After doing this I feel calm for about 5 minutes and have to do
it again. At 22 the delirium would occur about 2 times a week, where I was almost in a kind of
vegetative state constantly staring at bright lights and just barely getting by. Most days I would
just try to sleep in. Naturally this has caused problems in my career. So I finally decided to go
see a doctor about it and after about a 15 minute interview he diagnosed me with bipolar disorder and decided to send me to go see
a therapist at the local mental health clinic. They prescribed me with Zyprexa (olanzapine) and
Celexa (citralopram). After about 3-4 weeks of taking these medications I felt great. My shaking
almost completely disappeared and all the nervous symptoms I had been experiencing for all those years
vanished. Most noteably the visual distortions. However, after only about 2 months of taking these
medications they quickly stopped working. I kept taking them for 4 more months as all of my old
symptoms had returned in entirety. Since then (and I am now 25) they have prescribed me pretty much
everything under the sun with no noticable effects with the exception of the side-effects such as excessive
sleeping and weight-gain. The only medication that did work for me slightly was something called hydroxyzine. A mild anti-anxiety
medication which for some reason they stopped giving to me! Please note that I am not a psychotic I dont have any kind of thought
disorder or delusions :). I also only felt "depressed" because of all my symptoms, not because of
any lifestyle reasons or anything like that, I don't really think that anyone else would be to pleased to be in such a constant
neurotic/nervous/neurological state and feel like you can't control yourself physically. Anyway, I
do not do drugs, I rarely drink, I smoke cigarettes and I havent been on any medication now for about 3 months. I tried
to setup an appointment to see a neurologist but they said I needed a referal from a doctor. So at
this point I am thinking of going back to see the therapist only to send me there, but at the same
time I can't help but be noticable of the fact that the first medications worked but then so quickly
stopped working. Perhaps it is nothing more then some stubborn chemical imbalance they just can't seem
to identify? Either way I would
like to be sure and see a neurologist but because I have state-insurance it will take me about 45 days to get an appointment and I was just wondering
in the meantime if anyone here had any idea what this might be or if it sounded familiar. Every year that goes by it just gets
worse and worse and I don't want to end up developing dementia or not having something that could have been treated, treated just
because of the most unfortunate result of my symptoms I can't afford private insurance.

Symptoms
----------
Sinus affliction, the most irritating sensation between my eyes on the sides of my nose that when pressure is applied seems to momentarely alleviate visual phenomenon and delirium/vertigo
Extreme nervousness and anxiety actually worse when I'm alone (perhaps I just notice it more)
Delirium, bad short-term memory, poor cognition, confusion, poor decision-making, nerve-minded, lack of concentration that occurs randomly 1-2 times a week
usually consecutively
Visual abnormalities, excessive staring at bright-lights, big rings around lights, calmness & sense of vertigo(?) from lights, anxiety and shocks upon looking away
Irritating, constantly annoying sensation of something at the back of my head/neck (Cerebellum), small sensations at the temples
Extreme muscle twitchiness, temporary uncoordination/retardation in the arms, twitching occurs everywhere in my body (jaw, head, feet, etc), especially when doing fine movements or when placing
limb or joint really close to an object or another limb/joint without touching it

*vertigo = without the dizzyness.

--------
Mild Depression/Extreme Frustration ASSOCIATED with these symptoms

Negative Influences
------------------
Smoke a pack of cigarettes a day
Drink LOTS of caffeine (to help with the mental fatigue)
Have always had a really poor diet (Hamburgers, steaks, pastas, pizzas, chicken and candy is pretty much the ONLY thing I eat)
Lack of exercise

Thank you very much for reading this and I hope that it's nothing too serious!

Just some advice. My son had a seizure when he was 15 and we had state insurance. I didn't want to bother with the referral and the 45 day wait and the 1 hour drive to see the specialist. 4 years later he started having multiple seizures that scar his brain. I should have gotten the referral, made the appointment, waited the 45 days and drove the hour to see the specialist.
Just do it.