Neurology Community
45k Members

Osteoarthritis and Migraines

My neck is very swollen on the sides from the Osteoarthrtis, I cant' take meds like NSAIDS, as I get very sick when
I take them. Ok so my question is, I get really bad migraines I am getting the one I get normally that lasts for 4 days in a row when I get them. Yesterday it got tolerable and I was ok. Today I taken Tylenol 3, and later a Imitrex 50 mg's from my dr. he gave me both as he knows I struggle with these.
Can my migraines be from my neck being swollen from the Arthritis? I have been trying to get help on this for a long time but no one seems to have any answers. What way is best to handle them, since if they are from this.  What do you recomend for me, my Imitrex is 50 mg's,  I can take another one in 1 hour if not gone by then. Sometimes that doesnt help and I had to go in last week to the ER for 2 rounds of strong pain meds thru IV when I got it that bad, so you can see they are bad when they hit.
Thanks for any advice and help you give.
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Generally pain in the back portion of the head originates from the neck problems due to irritation in the cervical (neck) spine because the nerves that supply the back of the head start in the upper cervical spine. Mostly, this kind of head pain aggravates after turning head and typically occurs in patients with previous neck injuries and in patients with marked arthritis of the upper cervical spine. In addition, this pain exacerbate with prolonged sitting in a stooped posture and when working on a computers for long hours.  On the other hand, there are patients who experience similar pain with sinusitis (sinus with infected mucus) and migraine. If you suffer continuous pain at back of head, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the possibilities here and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you.