Neurology Community

Pituitary gland causing low blood sugars?

I am a Type 1 Diabetic who has suddenly started crashing everyday. I passed out at work two weeks ago with a blood sugar of 18 and was having a seizure when the fire department got to me. They have to give me D50 every week. My doctor has ordered an MRI of my brain because he feels the pituitary gland is causing a surge in the wrong hormones. The only info I can find online is about tuomrs. Is there anything else he might be looking for in that gland? (I am not worried even if it is a tumor because the crashing is so dangerous I would rather have a tumor issue that the crashes)
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems.  Yes, low pituitary function can cause hypoglycemia, but then it will also cause lower function of thyroid, adrenals etc. I would suggest you look at all the general causes of hypoglycemia first.
Skipping meals, feeling hungry and waiting to eat, giving long gaps between meals, eating very low calorie diet, dieting etc can cause hypoglycemia. It can also occur if you are taking insulin or other medications for diabetes.  It can also occur in liver diseases and hyperthyroidism. Hypoglycemia can be the side effect of certain medications. It can also result from drinking alcohol. Another possibility is autoimmune hypoglycemia which occurs due to interaction of endogenous antibodies with insulin or the insulin receptor.
Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your doctor regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.