Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45.1k Members

Seizure

Hi, I have been reading and it seems that seizures are more common than I realized.  My sister in law who is 25 had a seizure last night.  She is in reasonably good health but I suspect that she doesn't always take care of herself.  She is some what of a workahaulic.  Anyways, I have noticed that sinus infections seem to be one common reason.  Is there other types of infections or viruses that can cause this?  All her "tests" came back normal.  What is it that they test for exactly?  I am worried because they just sent her home.  
1 Responses
144586 tn?1284666164
I don't believe "sinus infections" are a common cause of siezures. That's absurd.

On the other hand everyone can have a siezure induced under the right circumstances.

Flickering lights, especially red lights (such as on a police car) or strobes are the most common causes of siezures. Pilots of fixed wing propeller aircraft and helicopter pilots have developed siezures from the flicker of sunlight through the propeller blades.

Singlasses are sometimes prescribed for those susceptible to "light-flicker" induced siezures.

The diet sugar substitute aspartame has been linked to siezures.

Usually anti-siezure medication is not prescribed until the second or third siezure.

Meanwhile, it's a period of "watchful waiting". Be especially awar or what are called "petit mal" siezures, which are momentary lapses of awareness and consciousness, often with the patient staring into space, unaware of his/her surroundings.  Sometimes an MRI or electroenchephalagraph will detect a brain abnormality. Often as not they will show nothing.

Usually a siezure is preceded by what is called an "aura", sometimes a metallic taste on the tongue. If driving, this means she must pull over immediately.

I wouldn't be overly concerned over a single siezure, but the patient should not hesitate to see a physician immediately if it happens again.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483808356
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease