Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45.2k Members

Severe Migraines Resistent to Standard Treatment

I have been suffering from a consistent migraine/headache for over seven months now, about since the time my thyroid began failing,  it was found out that I have hashimotos disease.  I am still trying to get the correct does of synthroid but even at .137 my T4 count was -10.  I also have GERD, which I take nexium for,  IBS which I occasionally will take either hyoscyamine or donnatal for, and I take xanax for anxiety and also because I am afraid around new people.  I also have fibromyalgia for which I was entered into my states medical marijuana program.  I was first tried on Topamax but I was not able to tolerate the medication.  I had read about psilocybin/LSD for the treatment of cluster headaches.  I have found that LSD relieves the severity of my migraines.  After a dose of LSD I have 2-3 weeks where I only need verapamil and occasionally mild pain meds.  After four or more weeks my migraines comeback full swing on a daily basis.  Recently I have been taking 6 aspirin 1100 mg of naproxen sodium and several percocet on a daily basis on top of smoking MJ.  Even with such a ridiculous amount of medication it only dulls the pain.

I understand that LSD and psilocybin (I have not tried for my headaches) are 5-ht agonists and that this class of medicine is commonly used to treat migraines.  I believe that imitrex and other newer migraine medicines are NSAID's (I can barely tolerate the aleve and aspirin).  I was wondering if perhaps ergotamine which I understand was commonly used in 1980's for migraine treatment might be a good substitute for using illicit substances.  I do not feel comfortable speaking with my neurologist about my self medication because of the stigma attached to "drug use" and also I currently do not have a prescription for percocet either (I am afraid to ask because I don't want to be labeled as a seeker, even though he said I could go to the ER for shots).  Any information would be great, where I live there is no one who specializes in migraines.  I apologize for my bad grammer.
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483808356
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease