A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45k Members

Stroke like symptoms

Hi everyone,
  I'm posting here today because i am very worried about someone that i know that had stroke like symptoms but the doctors believe it was no a stroke but a brain cramp. the things im worried about are is it possible for this to happen again and if so will it be more severe or minor, and also i've been noticing a change in the way this person drives they have become a little more aggressive when they are driving and a little less unaware of the surroundings also they have frequently noticed flashes in their right eye, left part of the brain. Last and probably the most important would be that i've been noticing they are suffering from short term memory lost, i know this for they've been daily wondering if they toke their pills or not for the person is diabetic, can someone explain what is happening for i am very worried for this person
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello dear and welcome to the medhelp forum.  The person that you are talking about may have had a sudden loss of neurological function due to problem in the blood flow to the brain. it could have been a mini stroke with a normal CT  or MRI scan. There are certain causes of mini stroke, which I hope have been excluded.  These are seizures, migraines, mini stroke affecting memory areas etc.  Is he a hypertensive and how is his blood glucose control? A poor glycemic control can predispose to hyperglycemia and ketones in urine, increasing risk of stroke. He may need medicines to dissolve any clot if was detected on CT head.  Systemic evaluation including glycosylated hemoglobin, electrolytes and renal function indices are important and need to be checked and corrected.  Keep him under close observation of neurologist. Wishing you all the best.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease