Neurology Community
45k Members

heart murmur

My daughter has a heart murmur.  She is only 7 months old.  They tell me she will out grow it.  Is that true.
Hi, again.  Heart murmurs are one of the scariest things for a parent to hear, yet one of the commonest NON-PROBLEMS a pediatrician deals with.  First of all you should know that close to 100% of all children will have a murmur at least once in their life and ususally many times more.  All a murmur is is the sound of a little swirling or turbulence in the flow of the blood in and around the heart. (Like singing in the water pipes when there is turbulence in the plumbing) The Dr. hears it as a buzz with the stethoscope.  Most murmurs are innocent or "functional."  They do no harm and will usually diasppear on their own.  Sometimes the murmur may be due to a small hole in the heart.  The heart is very good at closing these small holes with time.  Most children with a fever have a murmur becasue the heart beats fast and the extra force causes the blood to swirl. No biggie.  A lot of kids will have murmurs during rapid growth spurts.

The signs of a serious heart murmur - one that signals a larger defect in the heart or its arteries are a suspicous sound to them.  The child often doesn't thrive or grow normally, especially having trouble gaining weight.

If you child has had a cardiac echo and/or seen a specialist and you've been told that you daughter will outgrow it - Believe them!  If there has been no echocardiagram, you might ask for an evaluation to settle your anxiety.  It has been my experience that most experienced pediatricians can tell which murmurs to worry about and which to reassure, but a second opinion never hurt anyone.  

Rest easy, heart murmurs are common in babies.  Try to get some rest, QUIX