Neurology Community

need answers

I had a bad wreck in 2002 which resulted in a long stay in hospital, traumatic head injury and brachial plexus injury.  I went for 2 years of physical therphy on  my left arm.  I have no feeling in my arm , hand and fingers.  The arm is getting smaller each day, I have lost one finger because of infetion in the bone and others are looking the same.  

I do have a great deal of pain, but have taken several types of pain pills and do not like the feeling so I do not take anything at this time.  I do wear a compresson glove at times.

What can I do or what type doctor do I need to see?
Hi there, this is most probably pain due to complex regional pain syndrome. Complex regional pain syndrome CRPS is a chronic progressive disease characterized by severe pain, swelling in the skin. There are two kinds based on presence of nerve lesion following the injury. Type I does not have demonstrable nerve lesions. Type II has evidence of obvious nerve damage.  The cause of this syndrome is unknown and could be precipitated by injury and surgery. There have been cases with no demonstrable injury to the original site. You need to consult a pain physician who is an anesthesiologist trained in pain medicine for nerve blocks. Take care.