Neurology Community

pain in right hand

I have 2 year old pain in my right hand. my mri says  "diffuse marrow edema in C-4 vertebral body... degenerative disc bulges C5-6 and C6-7.'' what does this imply in terms of precaution, course of treatment and rectification (i.e whether the problem will be cured completly or will persist).  
kindly revert  as soon as possible.
Cutting to the chase, there is swelling and narrowing of the passageways through which nerves pass. There is nothing wrong with your hand. The problem is a "pinched cable". Treatment options include reduction of inflamation with prescription or naturopathic drugs, mild intermittant axial traction, exercises to strengthen muscle tone (and thus keep the vertebra separated), and as a last option, surgical fixation of the vertebra in a position that does not impinge on the nerves. In general, the condition as you describe will not go away. Mild axial traction is performed with a head harness, six to ten minutes at a time several times a day. Ask your treating physician about the advisability of "range of motion" exercises involving rotation of the head and placing a hand against the head and pressing agsinst it for thirty seconds or so, and repeating thie every 30 degrees until you go around the head. Reduction of inflamation is sometimes acomplished with steroids, that have many undesireable side effects, to inclclude bone deterioration over the long term (making the situation worse), but in the short term may be useful. NSAIDS are helpful as well as keeping good hydration.