Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45.1k Members

pain in right hand

I have 2 year old pain in my right hand. my mri says  "diffuse marrow edema in C-4 vertebral body... degenerative disc bulges C5-6 and C6-7.'' what does this imply in terms of precaution, course of treatment and rectification (i.e whether the problem will be cured completly or will persist).  
kindly revert  as soon as possible.
1 Responses
144586 tn?1284666164
Cutting to the chase, there is swelling and narrowing of the passageways through which nerves pass. There is nothing wrong with your hand. The problem is a "pinched cable". Treatment options include reduction of inflamation with prescription or naturopathic drugs, mild intermittant axial traction, exercises to strengthen muscle tone (and thus keep the vertebra separated), and as a last option, surgical fixation of the vertebra in a position that does not impinge on the nerves. In general, the condition as you describe will not go away. Mild axial traction is performed with a head harness, six to ten minutes at a time several times a day. Ask your treating physician about the advisability of "range of motion" exercises involving rotation of the head and placing a hand against the head and pressing agsinst it for thirty seconds or so, and repeating thie every 30 degrees until you go around the head. Reduction of inflamation is sometimes acomplished with steroids, that have many undesireable side effects, to inclclude bone deterioration over the long term (making the situation worse), but in the short term may be useful. NSAIDS are helpful as well as keeping good hydration.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483808356
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease