Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Forum

crown with post root canal, now abcess treatment

Not sure how to word this.  I have developed and abscess under a crown with a root canal on my lower right molar second from the end. I am now seeing an endodonist to treat the abscess and he has warned me about a possible "crack", or fracture that would require removal of the tooth.

I am experiencing high levels of anxety after reading other forums on the possiblity of "jaw infection" as the xray did show a clearly deifned area of swelling where the abscess located..  I was reading a forum specific to my issue in  which it was stated by a professional that an infection in the jaw be the result of the abscess and remain dormant or undiagnosed for years.  After the specialist "cleans out the infected material and should the tooth remain intact, is this same specialist the person to tell me during this procedure if my jaw is infected? If so what then?

What other questions should I ask him or can you give me some assurance to relieve my angst to empower me with further proactive insight.
Infections occur in the jaw approximately 10-15% following root canal therapy so your condition is not uncommon.  It can occur many years after the initial treatment was completed well.

Usual treatment consists of re-doing the root canal if possible, cleaning the infection directly around the root with surgery, or removing the tooth.  

In general, endodontists are very well trained and capable or treating your condition.  If you have any doubts, I suggest you seek a second opinion consultation from an Oral Surgeon.  They see these infections everyday.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.