Ovarian Cancer Forum

IP Topotecan

I have written you often over the past 8 years. This week I had an IP Port installed after 2 negative PtCts and and a CT scan revealed very little. With a CA125 of over 5,000 the doctor decided to do a Lap and take a look and install the port. The docor found some disease on the abdomen, nothing larger than 1 cm and a trace of fluid. They also decided to go with Topo three days in a row every 3-4 weeks. Do you have any experience with IP Topotcan and its effectiveness. Is the three day regimen very difficult?
Hi There,
thank you for the update.
I do not have experience with IP topotecan. I did find a reference that I have pasted below.  

I would say that you are doing very well. It is reassuring that you do not have much tumor. I wonder if another option is just watchful waiting. please keep us posted on how you are doing.
best wishes

Phase 2 study of intraperitoneal topotecan as consolidation chemotherapy in ovarian and primary peritoneal carcinoma.
Muntz HG, Malpass TW, McGonigle KF, Robertson MD, Weiden PL.

Cancer. 2008 Aug 1;113(3):490-6

BACKGROUND: Intravenous topotecan is approved for the treatment of ovarian cancer (OC). In intraperitoneal (i.p.) topotecan studies, 20 mg/m(2) dosing was tolerable. This study evaluated the feasibility, safety, and preliminary efficacy of i.p. topotecan as consolidation chemotherapy in patients with OC or primary peritoneal cancers (PPCs). METHODS: Patients with stage III/IV ovarian or PPC in clinical complete response after surgical cytoreduction and intravenous carboplatin/paclitaxel chemotherapy who had benign findings or minimal persistent disease (< or = 1 cm diameter) at second-look surgery were eligible. Intraperitoneal topotecan 20 mg/m(2) was infused once every 21 days for 4 to 6 cycles. Kaplan-Meier estimates were used to calculate progression-free survival (PFS) and overall survival (OS). RESULTS: Twenty patients were enrolled (18 [90%] patients had OC). Sixteen patients received 4 cycles, 3 patients received 6 cycles, and 1 patient withdrew after 1 cycle. The mean delivered dose was 18 mg/m(2). Grade 3/4 toxicities included neutropenia and thrombocytopenia (45% for both). Grade 1/2 abdominal distension and nausea were reported in 60% and 40% of patients, respectively. Median PFS was 24 months from second-look surgery (95% confidence intervals [CI]: +/-10 months). Sixteen patients were alive and median OS was not reached at the time of data analysis. OS estimated at either 30 months from second-look surgery, or 3 years from initial diagnosis, was 84% (95% CI, 68%-100%). CONCLUSIONS: Consolidation i.p. topotecan is a feasible option for women withadvanced ovarian and primary peritoneal cancers. Further investigation of i.p. topotecan is warranted in this patient population. (c) 2008 American Cancer Society

Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize